Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:36 PM   #1

Hi,,,purchased an A80 just last week and am experiencing extremely short battery life. Bought the recommended charger with the NiMH AA batteries, returned the first charger/battery pack after 1 day when the camera power kept dying after 3-6 shots. The second (and present one) went dead after taking approx. 25 pics and abouta 10 sec. video clip over a 3-4 day period. In fairness I have had the camera powered up a few times to try to understand the functions, etc.

Is it reasonable to accept that the batteries are juiced out agian, or do I have a camera fault????? Any opinions gladly accepted.

Derreck
Derreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:29 PM   #2

Hey there,

Well I dont think its the Camera, though possiable it would be odd. I currently Have and A80 using 2050mah 30 minute Duracell rechargables and get about 200 - 250 shots with LCD on (I never not use it). The Charger came with 4 Duracell batts. and ran me about $40 bucks, and i got a free car charger. The Canon ones take a few hours to charge , My batts. only take 30 minutes which has been a real life savor turst me!

If I were in your shoes I would go pick up a set of Regular AA alkaline batteries from any store. If the Regular batts. work then you know that your rechargables are bad. If the regular batts. exhibit the same problems then Its time to either Replace your A80 at the store, or RMA it to Canon for repair.

Good Luck,

Eric

mr.fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 1:14 AM   #3

This may sound like a dumb question but did you do a complete charge on the new batteries before using them? This is usually recommended since they tend to lose their charge while sitting in the packages waiting to be bought. I have a MH-C401FS charger and Powerex AA NiMH 2200mAh batteries and their battery life is excellent.I never counted the number of pictures but I can experiment with my A80 many days at a time before recharging.
tod651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 1:33 AM   #4

Derrreck,

What was the recommended charger and NiMH batteries? I have both Rayovac IC3 and Energizer rechargables and easily get 250+ shots with the LCD using the 2000mah batteries.

You can find the Rayovac I-C3 4 cell charger with two AAs at Walmart for $28. Another 4 AA I-C3 cells will run about $12 and you will be able to charge them in 15 minutes.

The Energizer charger and batteries are a bit cheaper and charge in 30 minutes. I highly recommend either of these based upon personal experience.

I use my A80 for 2-3 days between charges and have only seen the low battery icon once. Also, during the three weeks I have owned my camera, I haven't even needed the spare set of batteries. This is a tremendous improvement over the other three older digital cameras I have used.
djand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 9:22 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for your replys, the charger recommended was the "Sunpak Ultra-fast charger" complete with 2200 mAh batteries. (believe it was approx. $40) I can only assume it was a complete charge as the charger has an indicator light showing a complete charge........

I am returning to the store today to discuss, maybe their is an alternate charger/battery combothat I can try. From the very limited time I've had with the camera, I hope that it works out. Thanks again - Derreck
Old Jul 17, 2004, 1:33 AM   #6

Derreck,
Buy 1 set of better quality batteries and then see what you get (Sony, Kodak, etc). There are some pretty crappy NiMh's out there. I just looked up the dealer pricing on the Sunpaks and they're really inexpensive so I doubt their quality.

Note also that you may need to fully charge and discharge them a few time when new to 'condition' them.
Probedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 9:04 AM   #7

I agree. After doing a bit more research into batteries I share your thoughts that the quality may be lacking. It's on my "to do" list for today. thank you.