Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 15, 2004, 2:00 AM   #1

I just got a Canon S1 IS to replace my Olympus C2100 UZ & was surprised that I didn't find a Macro function. Maybe it isn't important, since the specifications say that the camera focuses down to 3.9 inches & in any case I don't often take extreme close-ups of things.

Nonetheless, because the Olympus C2100UZ had a supplementary close-up lens, I thought it would be interesting to have something similar for the Canon. So I took one of the objective lenses from a garage sale pair of 7x35 binoculars, and mounted it in a tube that was a nice, gentle push fit (I lined it with thin, stick-on felt) over the lens barrel of the S1 IS.

I've put some pictures at Pbase - click on the thumbnails for bigger pictures -

http://www.pbase.com/embe/canon_s1_is

Herb is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2004, 9:14 PM   #2

Herb, is your last name Mcguyver?

That's some slick thinking. Pictures came out great too. I suppose you just need to be very careful to support it when shooting. Creative!
Selim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 10:10 PM   #3

Selim -

No, I'm not called Mcguyver, but I do have a few Scottish forebears. I guess that made me reluctant to repeat my earlier mistake of shelling out mega dollars for a supplementary lens for the Olympus-made close-up lens for my C2100UZ. That lens cost something like $150 Canadian, whereas the garage sale binoculars cost only $5.

Incidentally, I just found a circular polarising filter in my camera cupboard that I used years ago when I had an Asahi Pentaz. I've now mounted it in a cardboard tube too, and lined the tube with felt so that it's also a gentle, push fit.

There isn't any problem with either tube sliding off the lens barrel because the felt grips it just enough to hold it in place - both tubes are quite lightweight. What I am careful about is removing the thing before I switch the camera off - otherwise when the lens barrel retracts, the tube will fall off.
Herb is online now   Reply With Quote