Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 17, 2004, 11:57 PM   #1

:?I just purchased the Canon S1 IS and it is my first camera. Im loving the learning process and through failure have learned a lot. One question I have is what add-ons (lenses, focus', tripod, etc.) people have bought and what they're for. I'm not looking to do any extremely specific photography, but was wondering what options are available because I'm not sure. Any info would help a lot, thanks. :?
bballkking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2004, 5:46 PM   #2

I just ordered mine and have spoken to several people regarding this camera. As for add-ons - even with image stabilization (which is a great feature) many people are buying monopods if the want to zoom all the way. However, I don't know if you really need it for this camera - if it didn't have image stabilization, then to get full use out of 10X zoom you would definitely have to buy a tripod or monopod.

The other thing people have mentioned is buying the lens that can shoot moving objects more accurately - but as a newbie I have no idea how well the standard lens is since I have yet to obtain mine.

I'll probably get the adapter rings and some filters like the UV filter as some seem to suggest it.

Also, Steve the administrator of this forum recommends the W1-DC100 wireless remote for the camera as a neat little add-on.
Snooptonydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 9:03 AM   #3

Hi if you go to dpreview.com canon forum and you will find a thread posted byRichard Higgs on this topic with a large number of replies .Most keen S1 users are buying the lens adapter (the lensmate one in particular as its aluminium and matches the cameras finishand fits better than canons) for mounting filters and lens hoods,The Vivitar df200 slave flash or equivalent and close up/macro adapters ,circular polarisers and the tele & wideangle lens.I have the lens adaptor on order and will have wait a while for the teleadaptor.

Hope this Helps Brendon
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 9:41 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. I did not know that the Canon adapter did not have the same finish as the camera body itself. I put you recommendation on my "wish list".

Let's face it - by the time you've bought the AC adapter, a case, enough memory, lens filters, add-on lens, battery pack, camera remote, etc... the cost of a $499 camera becomes $899 or more. Ouch. The camera industry is alive and well. Oh yeah - don't forget a mountable flash too (cost: $199 or so). And, a really neat add-on is the waterproof customized body for underwater digital photos! (retail price: $199 too! oh boy!).
Snooptonydog is offline   Reply With Quote