Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 19, 2004, 12:11 PM   #1

I've just tried to record some movie clips and have a couple of questions.

1) I cannot play the clips in Media Player (MP). It's saved as an *.AVI so I don't get it!
When trying to play it in MP I can hear the sound but not see the clip.
I have the latest version of MP so it's not obsolete. Anyone know if it's possible to play it in MP? And what codec ifone needed.I know that Quick Time can be used for playback but I prefer to use MP.

2) The size of the clips are huge HUGE. (Length vs. size!)Is it possible to compress the file and if so which program would I need?

3) What program do I need to edit the movie clips? (Put on text and sound etc.)

Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2004, 12:44 PM   #2

hi,

you can use the prob gspot to check what codec is needed, or try vlc its a very nice player to playback all files, and there is no need to install a codec.
sry 4 my bad english.

gretttings from germany =)
strahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 7:57 PM   #3

I can watch the movies in MPwith XP so it is most likely a codec you need to download. I would have thought MP would try to get a codec when itopens the file. Are you blocking it's attemt at this? EG with a firewall.

The Apple Quicktime program that comes with the camera will play these video's of course.

If you want the file smaller you need to find a program that will compress the file. I've spent some time looking forfree said programbut it ain't easy, especially a convertor to DVD quality. The frame rate seems to be a problem.

Search for avi to vcd in google.
timotsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 11:28 PM   #4

Are you playing it from a USB device?

I have a 1.1 speed USB Sandisk CF card reader and realized that its slowing the data stream. If you ARE doing this, try to copy it to your desktop and launch it from there. I had this problem as well. Also, my video would come up choppy. Gotta get myself a 2.0 USB card reader.
Selim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 1:06 AM   #5

Great - another !#%!%!# accessory I have to think about getting. Camera is starting to be just 1/2 of price after I include all the other crap I had to get.
Snooptonydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 3:00 AM   #6

I couldn't play the movie in MP either. The movie is in Motion JPEG (MJPEG) format. I have purchased a Morgan Multimedia MJPEG codec and it works now.

jini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 9:07 AM   #7

> 1) I cannot play the clips in Media Player (MP).

Canon ZoomBrowser EX will enable you to play the AVI clips. You will need QuickTime installed, which is also supplied on the CD and can be installed separately.

The AVI files are large because they are of high quality and with a fast frame rate. Did you record in 640x480 @ 30 fps mode? If so, you can reduce the size by a factor of 4 or so if you switch to the 320x240 @ 30 fps mode.

> 3) What program do I need to edit the movie clips? (Put on text and sound etc.)

You could try using Microsoft Windows Movie Maker 2.0. It's a free download from the Microsoft site. It seems fairly straightforward to use, and Microsoft also provide some video tutorials. Also, ZoomBrowser EX also has a movie clip editing capability.

Good luck!

-
Witold.

WitWald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 5:32 AM   #8

The reason I would like to use the MP is that alomst everyone has the player installed. But I have not yet been able to find a codec that alows me to do that for freeI just dl the Morgan Mpjeg Codec and will use the trial period to see if it does it for me! I would have liked a free codec but what the h...!

I recorded the clips in 640x480 @ 30 fps mode. Simply because it givesthe best quality...as you stated. The lower settings won't do it for me. I've just tried the lower settings recording the same objects and even 320x240 @ 30 fps seemsto blurredfor me.:roll:

Have tried the MS Movie Maker but I got the same problem...I can't see the movie playback.
I'll try Adobe Premiere and see if it's better.:idea:

For compressing afterwards I haven't found a solution yet but will keep looking.
Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 9:12 AM   #9

Renamemovie files by replacing the ".avi" filename suffix with ".mpg" - It works!
archinnj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 6:18 PM   #10

Go to Betta News and download a program calle quicktime lite it will play the movies.

When you get on the betta news site do a search to find the ptogram
quackagator is offline   Reply With Quote