Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 22, 2004, 9:16 PM   #1

hey everyone, I'm a new to these forums. I was wondering if you all could help me out. I'm trying to decide which camera to get out of those three. Please reply with feedback or opinions on the cameras. Thanks!!!
jaymo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2004, 8:47 PM   #2

All i can say is that i have compared the fz10 and the s1is and i have bought the s1 because it has less chromatic aberration.

legrandtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 7:14 AM   #3

the movie mode is much better in S1 and S1 has a powerful flash than FZ10
deepboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 11:02 AM   #4

of course get the Canon S1 IS!

Coz you're on a CANON thread section! Hehehe!:lol:
judell74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 2:28 PM   #5

You may wish to include the Minolta Z3. I have an S1 and I don't know how they compare to the Z3 but all of the things that put me off the Z1 and Z2 seem to have been resolved(Anti shake, switchfinder rattling lens etc). I would wait for the reviews before buying.
redmikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 1:49 PM   #6

But Minolta Z3 has lens f2.8 - f4.5 at full telephoto, and S1 has f2.8 - f3.1
leoandrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 9:00 PM   #7

DPReview compares Canon S1 against FZ10 images...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons1is/page8.asp
Ramblin_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 8:54 AM   #8

The Minolta Z3 is a little more money, and I have not seen many reviews that were favorable for Minolta big zoom cameras, back in the Z1 day's they had a problem with chromatic aberration ( purple fringe ) that appears on edge of white objects with dark back grounds such as posts and buildings. It is a common problem with big zoom cameras but it was really bad with the Z1. With the Z2 I assume they fixed this problem as one more lens was added. When recording video, the sound was out of sink with the image. I have never tried the Z3 so no comment there. The Olympus (740, 750, 765, 770) has a much sharper image then the Canon S1is, this is easily seen, if you compare shots at Steve's:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s/img_1496.jpg
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...s/P5130054.JPG
After using the Canon S1is for 3 months now I can say it takes an OK picture. I prefer the sharpness of the Olympus, but the Olympus sometimes has color problems (not accurate). This is easily corrected with software, Software can also sharpen the Canon images who's colors appear much more accurate. Even with the sharpness value in the canon turned up to the top, I could not match that of the Olympus. This seems to be more of a software thing then a camera thing. If I could turn the sharpness up a bit more on the canon I think I could get it up to the level of the Olympus.
As for features and usability, it's the canon all the way. For true shocking sharpness and detail the Olympus takes a back seat to no one!
Caffeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:35 PM   #9

legrandtc wrote:
Quote:
All i can say is that i have compared the fz10 and the s1is and i have bought the s1 because it has less chromatic aberration.
I dont think so, check the comparision between S1 and FZ10 that Dpreview.com has posted recently.
Quote:
the movie mode is much better in S1 and S1 has a powerful flash than FZ10
Sure, thats why FZ10 has a hot shoe, but not only that, because if you set ISO 100 or 200, the flash power increase

You also can check and compare similiar shots taken with S1 and FZ10 on this site, you are gonna notice that shots taken with FZ10 are noticeable better than those taken by using S1.

You also can check this site

http://www.pbase.com/afukuda/fz10_cusco_abancay

Check the high quality images that you can get by using the FZ10

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote