Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 23, 2004, 11:20 PM   #1

I have a question about white balance here! How to you guys set white balace for A80? I tried to set the manual white balance with a white colored paper, the photo turn out to be greenish color! I send my machine to canon service and they told me a few step to set the white balance:

1. To set the Manual WB for macro shot, u need to set the camera to P mode and macro mode, set the white balance with flash turned ON and this allows you to take macro shot only! According to canon service, if you use this setting for normal shot, the photos will turn out greenish in color? Is this TRUE?

2. For normal shot in P mode, the white paper must be certain distance away from the camera to set the manual WB (with flash turned ON). And this also allow you to take normal shot! If you take macro shot with this setting, the photos will turned out green also! Is this TRUE?

Both case 1 and 2, when taking shots, the flash also need to turned ON!

Another problem, when I set the white balance WITHOUT FLASH, the photos will turn out blueish when I taking both macro and normal shot in P mode! I tried all other mode also still the same!?

Why manual White balance for A80 is so hard and troublesome to set compared to A70? I don't experience this problem with A70 when try to set manual white balance?

Or the canon service trying to be funny or lazy to check the problem of the camera? My camera still under warranty!

I hope some one with A80 will try to test their manual white balance and see the effect?

cheewooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2004, 1:53 PM   #2

For number one, I got a green shot no matter what I did for the macro white balance, including the normal shot. I would never use the flash for a macro shot anyways, because the lens gets in the way of the flash and makes a shadow. One thing to remember is that if you white balance with the flash, you must use the flash in your shot. Otherwise, in tungsten lighting, you will get a yellowed shot. If you white balance without the flash and use the flash in your shot, your pic will be blue. Also, if your flash can't illuminate the whole shot, then the part it won't reach will be discolored.

For number two, I also got the same results.

I think that the real problem is that the camera's flash is powerful enough to overload the sensor. Since the flash is a slight bluish-red lamp, it gives off a green tint when you overload the imager. Try white balancing a larger white object, like a wall, from a greaterdistanceand post your results. I think that you're just overloading the imager. A good way to white balance for a macro shot is white balance without the flash and take your shot without the flash. This produces accurate coloring.

Good luck!
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 9:10 PM   #3

Few days ago I tried another method of setting Manual White Balance (MWB) with FLASH ON and the photos turn out to be very nice and clear, there's no green color occurs!

Here's some step:

1. To set the MWB with flash on, use normal mode like 'P' mode for example(NO MACRO!).

2. Get a White paper and put in on the table!

3. This part is the most important part! Point your Canon Powershot A80 to the white paper! THE DISTANCE SHOULD BE 1 and half feet ABOVE the white paper and then set your MWB!

If your camera is too close to the white paper and you set your MWB with FLASH ON, the photos you take will turn out greenish in color! After you set the MWB, to take MACRO photos just set the macro mode and take the photos!

This setting should works on all older batchCanon Powershot A80. I tried the new batch of Powershot A80 and the MWB works even on close distance between the camera and white paper!

Just REMEMBER: TOO NEAR TO WHITE PAPER, THE PHOTOS WILL TURN OUT GREENISH COLOR!

Solution: MOVE THE CAMERA SLIGHTLY FURTHER FROM THE WHITE PAPER BEFORE SET THE MWB! (NOTE: ZOOM can be used to zoom into whole portion of white paper if the camera is too far apart from the white paper!)

That's all!
Old Jul 29, 2004, 11:16 PM   #4

"This setting should works on all older batch Canon Powershot A80. I tried the new batch of Powershot A80 and the MWB works even on close distance between the camera and white paper!"

Is there a difference between the old and new batch of a80's?
Is it a completely different camera? Or is it just new firmware? Or is the old batch "made in japan" and the new batch "made in china"?

Thanks.
oikos888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Is there a difference between the old and new batch of a80's? Is it a completely different camera? Or is it just new firmware? Or is the old batch "made in japan" and the new batch "made in china"?

The camera I tested I am sure it is A80, but I not sure about the firmware update on new batch. What I know is that one I tested is made in China whereas I having now is made in Japan. Let say if there's new firmware update I am sure Canon will announce it and make it available for downloads right?