Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 25, 2004, 10:12 PM   #1

I just got an S1 IS yesterday (my first digicam). I am reading the manual, and have questions about resolution and compression. If I'm not planning to print larger than 4 x 6, is M1 resolution sufficient? How much does quality suffer when going from "Superfine" compression to "Fine"? I guess I'm trying to figure out if there is an optimal combination of resolution and compression. The manual shows that file sizes are approximately the same for "Large" resolution and "Fine" compression as for "Medium1" resolution and "Superfine" compression.

Thanks, Faye
fstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2004, 6:12 PM   #2

Hi Faye.I cant give you good technical argument for any setting other than to say evan if you only shoot for 4x6 images most of the time the extra quality in reserve on the highest setting (Ls) will still allowgood results if you need to crop to improve composition or as I still find somethings are still too far away!!Also you will kick your self when you do shoot that great shot that demands being printed bigger and cant.I started out printing mostly 4x6 but now print 2up on A4 sheets and find this give very good results(5x7 paper very hard to source in Australia ) without being too big for albums or expensive.

Brendon
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 5:39 PM   #3

Faye - I asked exactly the question when I bought an Olympus C2100UZ, but never did get an explanation that I understood.

In the end I just selected a resolution that was the next size up from the resolution of my computer screen. This allowed me to view a reasonable-sized picture, even if I'd cropped it. I combined this with the best quality compression available.

I've done the same with my new S1 IS. My computer monitor is set at 1024x768, so I've picked M1 (1600x1200) combined with the highest quality compression. The only times I'm likely to change this is when I know I'm going to take a lot of pictures and want to reduce the file sizes to make sure my two cards will hold them all: then I'll use compression of a lower quality.

This seems to work well enough for my purposes. I've put two pictures in an album at Pbase. One is a 1600x1200 picture straight from the camera. The other is the same picture, sharpened in my computer. (I always use the camera's lowest sharpening setting - sharpening seems to work best done by your computer).

http://www.pbase.com/image/31918971/original

http://www.pbase.com/image/31918853/original
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 9:50 PM   #4

Herb, thanks for the reply. I'll give this a try. I took some practice shots around my yard last night, at L resolution and "normal" (medium) compression. Most of them turned out great. In a couple of them, I can see that I didn't focus where I thought I did . And a couple didn't have the best exposure. But they were just practice shots, nearly all taken on full auto. I'm definitely impressed with the IS. I had some pretty slow shutter speeds on a few shots, and they were not blurry.

Your pictures look great; I love closeups of flowers. I shot a few last night. Even not knowing what I was doing, they didn't turn out too bad.

Another question (sorry if this should be obvious to me) - how do I see the exif info? I'm using the supplied ZoomBrowser and ArcSoft software. Is that info available through either of them?

Thanks, Faye
fstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:41 PM   #5

Faye - sorry I can't answer your question about exif - I've very little idea of what exif is!

I haven't installed the zoom browser and don't use the Arcsoft program. I tried the Arcsoft program, but wasn't impressed, so I uninstalled it. I have Photoshop LE that came with an older camera, and prefer to use it combined with ACDSee version 3.0.

I use a Lexar card reader to transfer the pictures to the computer.

Herb
Old Jul 29, 2004, 2:53 AM   #6

Hi,

With Zoombrowser, view > preview mode, assuming that a picture is chosen, the window below the histogram that says "Shooting Information" is the exif (the one that has information about f-stop, speed, date and time, mode used, etc.)
For ACDSee, right click on a chosen picture choose properties, choose metadata tab, and you'll see the exif.
oikos888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 3:13 PM   #7

Faye (and Brendon),

After telling you (Faye) that I was using my S1 IS at the M1 (1600x1200) setting, I pondered what Brendon had said about the advantages of using the L (2048x1536) setting. - and have been trying it out. As a result, I've changed my mind and unless I want to cram more pictures on the cards am going to use the 2048x1536 setting combined with Superfine resolution.

Here's (with thanks to Brendon) is a result of the tryout. The picture is as it came out of the camera, except the it's been sharpened by PhotoshopLE -

http://www.pbase.com/image/31949630/original
Old Jul 29, 2004, 6:04 PM   #8

Hi Herb, glad to be of help .Re your comment about using low in camera sharpening there is a good thread on this on dpreview in canon forum put S1 -custom settings into search box and it will come up this also deals with turning down contrast and saturation and bringing up to desired level in PS

Brendon
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 12:33 PM   #9

Faye . Search on Google for Irfanview. You can open an image.click on it and go to full screen L or R click and scroll through a folder. Press E and Exif details are available. You get date when image taken, camera settings and much more. I have 4 computers in the house, all running Irfanview. The best software EVER.
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 9:58 AM   #10

I agree, Irfanview is great and the price is right.....Free!
cj.9 is offline   Reply With Quote