Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 6, 2004, 9:51 AM   #1

From Steve's trusty review:

Quote:
I also noticed an moderate amount of chromatic abberation (purple fringing on highlights) in high-contrast areas at the telephoto end of the zoom range, decreasing with focal length.
This sounds like a great camera, though I'm concerned about the 'purple fringe' affecting photo quality. I'm looking to upgrade from a Ricoh RDC-5000 which is pretty slow and lacking in features. Is it a noticeable problem?

Also, what causes chromatic abberation? Why are some cameras affected by it and not others? Why would anybody tolerate it if it affected most pictures?

Thanks!
greco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2004, 9:12 AM   #2

Hi ,chromatic abberation is a feature of all long zoom digicams and is a minor trade off for the versatility of these cameras .I have shot 3000 odd frames on the S1 and have never found it to be noticable unless you really go looking for it(zoom in on the edge of an object in image browserwith high contrast and you will see a purple line around outline of object.It is also most prelevant at max aperture and can reduced by using smaller appertures which are the more usual appertures to use anyway especially as the camera has IS and you dont have to use high shutter speeds unless you want to freeze fast action .

Only the most fussy would be put off and they should be buying cameras 4 times the price anyway!!

I honestly cant say I have seenany objectionable amounts with the normal cross section of photography that I shoot.The Minolta Z1 is said by some to have alot worse CA than S1.Oly 7--- uz are simular to S1 as far as the reviews I saw went.

Good luck with your search .

Brendon
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 3:01 PM   #3

I'll go along with the last comment. Buy the S1 and enjoy. You can even use the 32X zoom without noticing any odd effects.
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 12:05 PM   #4

hotshot wrote:
Quote:
I'll go along with the last comment. Buy the S1 and enjoy. You can even use the 32X zoom without noticing any odd effects.
Yessss! I second the motion!!!
judell74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 6:33 PM   #5

HI ,There is a new S1 review on dpreview.com which gives a few examples and is interesting as it has direct comparisons with Z1, fz10 and s5000(not for CF as such).

As for 32x zoom, I would only use this as last resort as quality is not great but suprisingly simular to what I acheived when I shot one photo at 10 x zoom and thencropped/magnified in imagebrowser.The same photo at 32 X looked simular but had adifferent colour cast.I would only usedigital zoom for "record" shots rather than for quality shots.

Brendon

Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 4:50 PM   #6

Chromatic aberration is caused by differential refraction of the light spectrum through glass (think how prism works). Lens makers use various methods to attempt to direct all light frequencies so they arrive at the proper place on the image plane, but when you have a long zoom lens and a working budget range within which to operate there are always some compromises.

Fortunately, the degree of chromatic aberration is well within the ability of software to control. If it is a problem which really concerns you with your images and which you would like to ameliorate or remove, please try Picture Window Pro version 3.5 which has excellent chromatic aberration removal tools.

Picture Window Pro was written by Jonathan Sachs, the author of Lotus 1-2-3 who is an avid photographer. The software is reasonably priced considering it's nearly equal to PhotoShop in its power - in some areas such as chromatic aberration removal it's superior.

Here's a link to review - personally, I wouldn't be without it:

http://www.camerahobby.com/Digital_PictureWindowPro.htm

Lin

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote