Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 19, 2004, 11:46 PM   #1

This camera looks very promising, but to me it will fall short if Canon has not addressed what I believe was the biggest weakness of the G5, at least for someone like myself who uses flash for a large percentage of my images.

The "AF Assist" light on the G5 is really, really bad indoors at any setting except the widest lens setting. Indoors the G5 I had simply refused to focus at all in what I would call normal evening light if zoomed into the tele range. If Canon had made the G5 to utilize the infra-red focus beam on the EX flash units I really beieve focusing would have been much, much better (and I might still own it). I use flash alot indoors. Sometimes I even like to use the zoom control to get closer. If Canon did not address this issue from the G5 the G6 will be a big waste of time and money. I really would like Steve to look at this specifically when he gets a chance to get one of these in.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:33 AM   #2
Administrator

We don't have the new 580EX but I will try the G6 with the 550EX and report our findings in the review conclusion which should be posted next week sometime. We were quite busy getting ready for yesterday's new Canon product launch and posted three full reviews and two first looks. Did not want to "rush" the G6 review as it needs a lot more evaluating than P-n-S type cameras. I am very impressed by its image quality as you can see from the samples that we posted. The resolution, clarity and lack of noise is amazing for a tiny imager with 7MP.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 1:34 PM   #3

Hi Steve

what about a S70 review/preview? Can the G6 and S70 be compared due to there identical technical features?

Are you able to compare Nikon D70 to the Canon D20? Cause I wanted to get the D70 sometime in sept? I was very pleased with its image quality compared to some 8mp cams such as Nikon and Olympus! Could you comment on that?

Thanks

Tobias

JosstheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 2:13 PM   #4

Actually, the best place to compare modelsis here:

http://dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp
Old Aug 20, 2004, 6:31 PM   #5
Administrator

JosstheBoss wrote:
Quote:
Hi Steve

what about a S70 review/preview? Can the G6 and S70 be compared due to there identical technical features?

Are you able to compare Nikon D70 to the Canon D20? Cause I wanted to get the D70 sometime in sept? I was very pleased with its image quality compared to some 8mp cams such as Nikon and Olympus! Could you comment on that?

Thanks

Tobias
I can't review what I don't have, sorry no S70 at this time.

The 20D (please spell it right) is superior to the D70,it isn't in the same class. The D70 and Digital Rebel are one class, the 20D and D100 (and its expected new replacement) areanother class. Just as the D2H and 1D Mark II are in yet another class.

And you can't compare the 8MP prosumer fixed-lens cameras with their tiny image sensors to thedigital SLRs with theirmuch larger image sensors. Pixel count alone is not the secret to low-noise images, physically larger pixels is the answer.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 7:38 PM   #6

Steve,

Thanks for the info on the new cameras. Any word on an update to the S1? I love the feel and controls on the S1 and I would like to have the Zoom, but I'm hisitant to buy a 3.2 M camera. Also the I took a fully zoomed photo at the store and it was a little out of focus. (used Auto, the salesman took the photo)

Thanks for any help you can provide. If a new improved and affordable 10X is on the way from canon, I am going to wait, if not, I am going to buy the new A95, and stand closer to the subject!

PS I found the S1 for $331
Family Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 2:48 AM   #7

I may be interested in the G6 - as a small camera to use in certain situations where I would Not be able to carry my 300D. Notice I said "Might". The specs look good on this camera, but the Silver finish is a BIG turnoff.

I am still toying with the idea of getting the 20D, & maybe 1 more lens (that 10-22 would be nice)but if Iwere toget the 20D or the G6, I would need to invest in at least one 1GB CF card before I got a 5th lens.

Steve - can you tell me, in the Largest jpg setting on the G6 how many images one can get on a 512 MB CF card? Same for the 20D? Thanks a LOT!

David

Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 8:02 AM   #8

for my g5 with a 512 card at max settings i got 198 pictures.

So less than that for the G6, typically there's charts that say that information online somewhere
timothy015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 10:38 AM   #9

Thanks Timothy. On my 300D I get 157 images with a 512 card set at the highest jpg setting & with a 256 I get 78. I really like the features shown on the G6 - it really looks great so far! Do you have an adaptor on your G5 where you can use 58mm filters? I would like to have a warm UV & a circular polarizer.

Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:49 AM   #10

Railfire,

Being a prior owner of the G5 and knowing you own a 300D I'll point a couple of things out regarding the flash system. This may or may not be important to you, but I think many people just take thisfor granted and only later find out what's really going on.

I also use Canon digital SLR cameras and I utilize flash quite a bit. The G5/G6 also have a hot shoe to allow the use of the Canon EX flash units in ETTL. Back when I owned my G5 I used it mainly with a 420EX, although I also mounted and used the 550EX from time to time.

With the G5, Canon advertised it was "FULLY COMPATIBLE" with the EX flash units.

This is not true.

With your SLR the EXflash unitemits an infrared focus beam to assist in low-light situations. It basically lets you AF in complete darkness. The G5 disables the AF assist light on the EX flash units- it does not work at all. The AF assist light built into the G5 is OK indoors at the wide angle end of the lens, but zoom into the telephoto range and autofocus indoorsgets frustratingly ineffective.

With your 300D you can set the camera into manual mode, setthe f stop and shutter speed you wantand the EX flash unit will still work inETTL mode to give you a correct exposure. With the G5 if you go to manual mode the camera blasts away in full manual modeand only gives you the option of manually adjusting the power to 1/2, 1/4 and (I think) 1/16 power.

These two "problems" with flash and the G5 caused me much frustration.I no longer own the camera.

I now see Canon is also advertising the G6 as being "fully compatible" with EX flash units. Unlessthe G6at leastutilizes the flash unit's infrared focus beam this is an untrue statement. I have a feeling I know the answer. I'm just waiting for someone to test the camera and verify what I feel is probably still a shortcoming of this series.