Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 27, 2004, 8:21 PM   #1

hey guys i just bought a new Canon powershot S1 IS and i just had a question

I don't know anything about camera's photography so please bear with me. I've pretty much stuck to the basic features of the camera and have not modified anything but since this camera seems to be pretty good i wanted to get good use out of it.

I just wanted to know how i can take clear/non-blurry pictures of up close items and small items. i've seen some cameras with the dedicated macro features but unfortunately this camera does not have it. I've seen some great shots of flowers and bugs and stuff that other people have taken and they are so clear and focused

also when i put the camera to full zoom the camera doesn't seem to want to focus???

Can anyone please help me out?

thanks
in_flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2004, 5:06 AM   #2

Hi. S1 has not macro but You can take picture from 10 cm. At full zoom the minimum distance will be 90 cm. It means that, at full zoom, You can't focus at i.e. 60 cm. Many users have shooted a 4 cm too with a good result (Wide).

I bought the LAH-DC10 lens adapter and I'm using Hoya close-up lenses. You can take pictures from 1 cm. There is a Canon Close-up D500 but is very expensive.

If You are not shure with your hand, use a tripod and....try, try, try.....
foffodc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 2:09 AM   #3

foffodc wrote:
Quote:
Hi. S1 has not macro but You can take picture from 10 cm. At full zoom the minimum distance will be 90 cm. It means that, at full zoom, You can't focus at i.e. 60 cm. Many users have shooted a 4 cm too with a good result (Wide).

I bought the LAH-DC10 lens adapter and I'm using Hoya close-up lenses. You can take pictures from 1 cm. There is a Canon Close-up D500 but is very expensive.

If You are not shure with your hand, use a tripod and....try, try, try.....
Dude, where did you buy those HOYA LENSES? Any site?
judell74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 3:54 AM   #4

Hi Try lensmateonline.com for filters etc ,also for the the adapter that they make which is far superior to the canon item as it is made from 6061 aluminium and matches the camera perfectly (the canon one is black and sometimes is a bit loose)

I recently purchased one from them and along with a rubbber lens hood had them shipped to Australia for less than the canon item would have cost me from a local retailer.

I hope this helps brendon

PS if using tripod turn off IS for best results and shoot at wide angle end.
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:46 PM   #5

Tnx a lot brendon!!!
judell74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 1:55 PM   #6

I'm living in Sweden and I bought 2 pcs second-hand at a photoshop.

foffodc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 5:43 AM   #7

I recently purchased the S1 IS. After 15 days of normal functioning, I started to have a peculiar problem. All of my pictures now carry a roundcircle in same position. It looks like a moon when the background is white. Thecircle is translucent and not opaque. So I can see the entire photo but in that place theimage is blurred.

I have cleaned the lens. Dosen't seem to be a case of any dust. The size of the circle remains the same till I use the optical zoom (10X). It then starts growing when the Zoom gets into the Digital Zone.

I have written to Canon in my country (India) and also to Singapore, but I didn't get any response from them.

Has anyone ever heard of such a phenomenon.

Rahul Bhatt.

Rahul Bhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 5:13 PM   #8

I think u have a lense defect from the inside. Get a replacement.

Chip
chipnham is offline   Reply With Quote