Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 28, 2004, 1:22 PM   #1

Inormally find the reviews at Steve's very informative and educational. However, the site's reviews of these two cameras seem like "rehashes" and are, if anything, confusing ...

On the A95, you say "is the first "A" series we've seen from Canon to feature a metal-clad body" ... this is simply not true. There were many things in this article that seemed to ignore the A80 altogether, as if it didn't exist. (I also saw something about the "first model to have a swivel LCD" Huh??)

You also don't mention anything about whether or not the A85 has a swivel screen like the A80. I went to another site and found out it does not. To be fair, it's probably in the product shots, but I think this should be pointed out as it is important missing feature.

Also, there is no explanation or evaluation of the new "special" shooting modes. I'm very curious as to how well these work, and if they're worth losing the seconf Custom slot. (Again, no mention of this either.) Is this something you are planning on adding later?

Thanks for your time.
-Tim
timoteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2004, 2:09 PM   #2
a2b

Yes i wonder if loosing one custom mode is ok or not!!! And if the A95 is much of an upgrade on the A80! i also thought the review was maybe rushed!and would a second and more in depth review and comparison with the A80would be very helpfull for owners of the A80, ie is it worth changing to the A95 OR NOT !!.come on steve.you can do better with respect.
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 3:41 PM   #3
Administrator

timoteo wrote:
Quote:
On the A95, you say "is the first "A" series we've seen from Canon to feature a metal-clad body" ... this is simply not true. There were many things in this article that seemed to ignore the A80 altogether, as if it didn't exist. (I also saw something about the "first model to have a swivel LCD" Huh??)
C'mon Tim. Don't you think you're beingunfair to Steve here? He reviews more cameras than anybody else (as least the reviewers that do a good job).

If you see a mistake in a review, just sent him a PM about it (along with facts supporting why it's a mistake). I'm sure Steve wants to provide accurate information. If you're aware of another A Series model with a metal-clad body, then let him know about it. He can't remember every detail about every model ever introduced --- nor would anybody expect him to. Recent A series models do not have metal clad bodies.

As far as the Swivel LCD part -- he said rotating, not swivel. He probably meant "fully rotating" as the new A95 will go the full 360 degrees (as he mentioned in the very next sentence).The older A80 only went 270 degrees. Just send hima PM pointing out his choice in wording if you don't like it.

Quote:
You also don't mention anything about whether or not the A85 has a swivel screen like the A80. I went to another site and found out it does not. To be fair, it's probably in the product shots, but I think this should be pointed out as it is important missing feature.
Tim, the A85 is NOT an upgrade to the A80. The very first sentence in the review says this:

"The PowerShot A85 is the 4-megapixel "big brother" of the PowerShot A75 and replaces the Powershot A70, one of the most successful cameras in Canon's seventy year history."

Would you like for every review to point out features that are missing compared to every other camera? It's just not practical. The reviews are for a specific model (not how they compare to all other models).

Quote:
Also, there is no explanation or evaluation of the new "special" shooting modes. I'm very curious as to how well these work, and if they're worth losing the seconf Custom slot. (Again, no mention of this either.) Is this something you are planning on adding later?
They work the same way everybody elses scene modes work. They optimize the camera's exposure and image processing for specific scenes. Do you know anyone else that goes out and tests each scene mode for you? Be realistic... there are too many cameras to review (and Steve already reviews a lot more than the other sites). He said enough about these modes in the review already:

"Under the SCN mode Foliage is for shooting around nature, Snow is used to capture snowy scenes (duh!), Beach is appropriate for shooting by reflective sand and water, Fireworks is used for shooting a show of fireworks, Underwater is for shooting images with the optional WP-DC30 underwater case, and Indoor is best used for shooting under fluorescent and tungsten lighting. "

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 4:34 PM   #4
Administrator

Appreciate you pointing out the review "errors" - they have been corrected.

As JimC aptly stated, we review a LOT of cameras, esecially this year. I can no longer handle the load myself and have enlisted several new reviewers to pick up the slack and they're still getting up to speed with how we do things.

Sorry but it just isn't possible to review and evaluate every possible exposure mode or feature of each and every camera that we review - there isn't enough time to do this unfortunately - if we did then by the time the review was posted it would be so old that it would have already been superceeded by a newer model
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 4:24 AM   #5
a2b

Thanks, Jimc and Steve it's just the A95 replaces maybe the most popular small camera with real controls ever and as such a lot of owners of A series canons and those looking to replace the A80's in particular would be very interested, don't you think to know how the A95 COMPARES. It's nice to say the A95 takes lovely photos but compared to what is what we want to know, don't you think? Jim, you know yourself so well and we do who read your fascinating comparisons with your trusty Konica 510 with other lesser in your opinion Konica/Minolta models, i.e. G400/600 how helpful comparisons are and espcially when the person comparing the cameras like yourself really knows what they are talking about. So I believe comparisons especially with important models like this are very important. How about a test on RICOH cameras, ie. GX, we haven't had a Ricoh review since 4/21/2003, any idea why? Steve or Jimc everyone is raving about this camera, we get three canon reviews in a few weeks no ricoh reviews for over a year.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 7:26 AM   #6

Understood. I DO realize you review a LOT of cameras nand can appreciate your position. But at the same time, I just felt at least a little more attention should have been given to one of the more popular camera series of all time. As I think you know, Steve, this was not a personal attack or anything like that, I just was a little surprised by the review. I thought it would have more info ... guess that's what forums are for, eh?
Old Aug 30, 2004, 7:30 AM   #7

BTW, after looking at a myriad of product shots I've noticed a thing or two, can someone confirm:

It would appear that they have added the "SET" button to the middle of the navigation controls on the A85 (which is bloody fantastic!) but on the A90 they have it back in the same "dumb" spot as before.

So it would appear if you want the swivel screen and the better placed buttons you're out of luck. Can someone confirm?

Thanks.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 7:44 AM   #8

Quote:
JimC wrote: If you're aware of another A Series model with a metal-clad body, then let him know about it. He can't remember every detail about every model ever introduced --- nor would anybody expect him to. Recent A series models do not have metal clad bodies.

Yes, I am ... the A80. Besides owning it, it's in the first sentence of the 2nd paragraph of the review here. It just makes it very confusing.

Quote:
As far as the Swivel LCD part -- he said rotating, not swivel. He probably meant "fully rotating" as the new A95 will go the full 360 degrees (as he mentioned in the very next sentence). The older A80 only went 270 degrees. Just send him a PM pointing out his choice in wording if you don't like it.
Again ... confusing. I think people unfamiliar with the cameras will assume it is the first to have any type of swivel feature. With him being so busy I wouldn't think he would have time to answer every email or PM. I honestly thought there already was a staff and that he wasn't necessarily doing all the reviews.

Quote:
Would you like for every review to point out features that are missing compared to every other camera? It's just not practical. The reviews are for a specific model (not how they compare to all other models).
No, but I would kind of expect it on a line of cameras reaching the "superstar" status that the Canons do. These will easily be the hottest cameras for the fall/Christmas season. A little more attention to this series is certainly not a bad idea, IMHO.

Quote:
They work the same way everybody elses scene modes work. They optimize the camera's exposure and image processing for specific scenes. Do you know anyone else that goes out and tests each scene mode for you? Be realistic... there are too many cameras to review (and Steve already reviews a lot more than the other sites). He said enough about these modes in the review already:
I was looking more for how WELL they worked, rather than just a rehash of the Canon documentation/publicity.

But hey, thanks for pointing out how busy Steve is (I had no idea he was doing all these by himself. ) Oh, and since you seem to have so much time on your hands (I can only assume since you found the time to attack someone else's post), maybe you could help him out with the reviews. You seem to know it all as well. :roll:
Old Aug 30, 2004, 8:17 AM   #9
a2b

Yes thats a great idea , how about it Steve! Jim c is allways popping up on forums see his great stuff on Konica/ Minolta cameras ect , this guy knows his stuff about cameras, i even wonder if he is a reviewer! he is such a good guy at explaining what cameras are the best , how come you get your hands on so many cameras jim ! please apply for the job, or better still for president of the good old USA. does any one know what George uses ! maybe he knows the best cameras we should be buying! cause we all seem to be confused thats why we need a lot of help in choosing, and mostv of all comparisons with other cameras in my humble opinion.