Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 3, 2002, 4:57 AM   #1

Default When / Where will IXUS v3 (S230 ELPH) Ship?

Hi
Can any one advise when where the ELPH S230 (IXUS v3) will ship first?
Thanks
kiwited is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2002, 8:43 AM   #2

Hi,

I'm in Canada, and I got my S230 yesterday. I'm retiring my S20 in favor of this little jewel and if it gives as good quality as the S20 I will be VERY happy.

I've got a G2 also (G3 on order) and a CoolPix 5000, but the G2 and S20 have been my favorites.

I am so far THRILLED with the size and features of the S230, except for the fact that it does not accept MicroDrives like my S20 did.
TD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2002, 10:36 AM   #3

TD27
Have you had any problems with the G2?
I'm curious about why you are upgrading to the G3 and why you have so many models? I've read about cracks in the G2 cases and slow shutter lag.
Do you think the G3 is worth the extra $? What, in your opinion, are the main disadvantages of the S230 over the G2?
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2002, 1:36 PM   #4

Hi Dano,

Why am I upgrading the G2? Several reasons... first and most important is that I'm HOOKED on this stuff. I am disappointed that the G3 is still only 4 mp (instead of the 5 I was hoping for), but overall I think it will offer considerable improvement over the G2.

I think it will be faster (in everything) and that the focus and exposure will be EVEN BETTER than the G2. One feature I'm very much looking forward to is the built-in time-lapse option which I have actually been using quite often with a computer attached. I also like the ND filter that can be switched in and out, and overall I think the camera just offers more advanced features.

I owned a G1 before the G2, and really didn't care much for it, but I have loved the G2 (black, limited edition by the way). The battery life is spectacular!

I have never had ANY trouble at all with the G2.

My S20 has been my favorite overall camera for several years. I'm hoping that the new S230 will prove to be at least as great a camera and the smaller size makes it even a better choice for travelling.

The G2 by the way has a lot less shutter lag than my Nikon Coolpix 5000 which other than the excellent optics, I really hate.

The main disadvantages I see of the S230 over the G2/G3 (to answer your question) are the lower resolution, less custom features and the lack of optional add-on lenses. When I travel I take BOTH my S20 (now it will be the S230) and my G2 (soon to be the G3) because sometimes I just don't feel like lugging the G2 out of the hotel with me. The S230 will fit easily in a pocket or fanny pack and with it I will ALWAYS have a camera with me.

I have owned a ton of Nikons also and the G2 and S20 combination have been my favorite by far.

Good luck with whatever you end up with.

Tim
TD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2002, 1:13 PM   #5

Default Re: When / Where will IXUS v3 (S230 ELPH) Ship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwited
Hi
Can any one advise when where the ELPH S230 (IXUS v3) will ship first?
Thanks
I emailed Canon on Thursday and they responded on Friday indicating they would be in retail outlets "no later than early November."

I have one on preorder.

Jack
Lone Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 12:47 AM   #6
Administrator

Go over to our Canon manufacturer's page and click on the buy button next to the S230 listing, it is available now for ordering from Ritz Camera and should ship in 2-3 weeks.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras/canon.html

We just got one in for review but are working our way out from under a pile of Fujis and others first so our S230 review is probably 2 weeks away from being posted.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2002, 7:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD27
Hi,

I'm in Canada, and I got my S230 yesterday. I'm retiring my S20 in favor of this little jewel and if it gives as good quality as the S20 I will be VERY happy.

I've got a G2 also (G3 on order) and a CoolPix 5000, but the G2 and S20 have been my favorites.

I am so far THRILLED with the size and features of the S230, except for the fact that it does not accept MicroDrives like my S20 did.
whereabouts did you buy your S230? I'm from Canada too...
Gdog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2002, 9:47 PM   #8

Default S230 from dell

I just bought one from Dell.com. They have not posted it yet, but they have it in stock. It's 330 something bucks after 10% discount.
dubliners is offline   Reply With Quote