Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 11, 2005, 7:37 AM   #11

My S1 IS's flash didn't open yesterday. Looking at it from the front of the camera, it looks like it is in a middle-open/middle-shut position. I tried with a manual mode and flash(non-auto) and it did not open, no click like the latch tried to release the pop-out flash. So i wonder if fisher's solution is applies to my camera. How exactly did you open the flash? Because even if i have a 5years Intl Warranty, the service representative form Romania got a lot of negative reviews. So i'll either make a trip to Austria to have it fixed, or go for the DIY.
bedstefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 10:48 PM   #12
Elf

Scott, Thanks heaps for your post. I just got my S1IS off ebay and the flash wouldnt pop up. Followed your instructions and it works perfect. :-)
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 6:23 PM   #13

Hey All,

Just registered to let you all know the washer trick was the same thing wrong with mine. My flash worked for about a month. I went to use it last night and it wouldn't pop up. I called Canon and they told me to return it to a service center. I decided to research the web to see if anyone else had this problem. I found this site and solution, repaired it over lunch and it works great!

Cool.

Mike

onetoncrewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 4:12 PM   #14

Hi,

I have bought the Canon S1 IS camera from DELL (online on April) and now the flashis not popping up. It's like it is in a middle-open/middle-shut position. I tried all the modes and still no solution.

I have called Canon Cust support and they are asking me to send to Chicago whereas i'm in CA. Can i get any support from Dell???

I have seen the soultion from fisher112 (Scott)in this forum..can anyone explain the solution in little more detail...

Thanks
colorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 12:11 AM   #15

Thanks very much for this info - I just picked up and S1 from eBay. It was pretty much brand new but the flash wouldn't open. A few mins of searching and I came across this thread. Minutes later and all is well. Here is what I did to fix it and to get the flash open without causing any damage.....

I turned on the flash and went into a dark room so I knew that the camera would try to open the flash. Before pushing the shutter button I gently pushed the flashclosed a little more to take the pressure off the latch. When I depressed the shutter release I heard the latch release and then I took my finger off the flash and it popped up no problem. Then I completed the repair as noted above - note you will need a very small phillips screwdriver....I was able to use the one inside the stylus of my PDA.

As you're looking at the flash remove the small screw in the upper left. Use something to lift out the black latch and then you'll see a small washer underneath. Replace the black latch, then the washer and the screw.

Worked like a charm for me
Dave in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 8:28 PM   #16

I just picked an S1 up on clearance at Staples, and it apparently has the same problem with the flash. I have tried giving it some help opening but have not been successful. I've also tried holding it down while it should be releasingbut still no success. Sadly, this was the only one my local store had any the other store in my area also does not have any more. This one had probably been returned because I found dead batteries in the camera, so it is also possible that someone tried to force it opened and did more damage. Also, when closed should it be tightly shut or is a 1/16" opening correct?

Any for the person who said you forced it open.. how much force did you use (I'm pulling pretty hard and it's not going anywhere)? I am hesitant to pull it too much. Strangely, in my experiments where the flash does go off (typically when I am holding it open a bit), it seems to take a decent picture with the light comingthru the small opening. I am going on vacation at the end of this week so I can't afford to send it in for service. I'd be ok doing so when I get back but I am going to want Staples to discount it a bit more to cover the cost of shipping it (or maybe I can just bring it in there and they can send it UPS for mesince they do shipping there). I'm going on a cruise so the vast majority of what I will use it for won't need the flash, anyway.

Update: I got the flash to open (by pushing down when it released, although that had not worked previously)! Now I guess I will look into making the fix. Sadly my friend who I usually trust to do stuff like this is on vacation. I think I will leave the flash open for now. Worst case if I can't do it I can probably find someone at work to take a look at it for me on Monday.

Update2: Oops, I accidently closed it and now I can't reopen it :-(.

misterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:39 AM   #17

Same camera same problem also here
I followed fisher112's instructions (thank you very much) and now it seems to work very nice. Not perfect, but nice. And I say it's not perfect because in 'closed' position it is not exactly closed; there's a small (1-2mm) gap remaining.
But I suspect this to happen because I opened it too many times using "the force" before I fixed the small washer-screw issue.
Overall I must say I'm happy, though.

Man, that was a _small_ washer. I cannot stress it enough; when you are performing this 'surgery' be sure you are equipped with proper tools (I wish I had a magnetic screwdriver). Also, if you have big fingers I hope you are a patient person

rpacurar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:46 AM   #18

I still haven't gotten mine fixed. I took it on vacation, and when I was at NASA, I decided to give it one more try and VOILĂ€!I got it to pop open. So at least I was able to take flash pictures while there. I left it open after that. I brought it to a friend's house last week, I did not have the instructions with me but we undid what I thought was the hinge, and it did not seem to fix the problem (but I was able to reopen it manually again). I'll try it again with the instructions. Worst case I opened a warranty service request with Canon and I will mail it back to them.

BTW, when we unscrewed the piece off mine, we found a washer on BOTH sides of the latch! I think we left the inside one off, but that did not fix it.
misterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 12:13 PM   #19

thanks scott

just bought this camera and was manually openning the flash. came across this post and excitedly brought the camera to local camera store. they read your fix and 10 minutes later (the catch - washer were in reverse order), i'm flashing away.

the internet is an amazing resource.

again, thanks much

rob
robwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:16 AM   #20

Hi That was an excellent IDEA to solve that issue with Canon S1 IS . Hope you would be glad to receive an appreciation even after this many long days and Im typing this message from INDIA .

I recently bought the canon S1 IS through one of my friend in USA ( my first digital camera ) . Me too faced the same problem with the pop up flash . Without being able to resist my temptations I forced opened it for the first time and there after , when ever I needed flash .

When I called up the canon Helpline in INDIA they adviced me - force opening the flash results in a Coil damage and opted for a coil replacement on a chargable basis . ( no warranty on overseas purchase ) . :?

This is when I noticed your IDEA to resolve it . OK I did the same Catch - washer -Screw mechanism ... It worked !!!!!!!!!

The only problem , was that I had it difficult to get thecorrect screwdrivers . Any body who wish to try this better try this with the right set of screwdrivers . so that u dont damage the screw head, which could never be opened other wise . :idea:

I was surprised to see the flash , Pop up on its own ( Automatic mode ) for the first time after this .

Fantastic results with the flash. I could get a clear night outdoor shot even on a full moon day .

Thanks to Fisher and "stevesforums.com " . Happy shooting ....:|

Prabhu Sahayaraj is offline   Reply With Quote