Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 6, 2005, 4:31 PM   #21

funny that now the S2 has a munually opening flash. I guess they got tired of them being returned for service..........
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 1:25 PM   #22

:-) Well Scott another satisfied S1 IS user......I had the same problem with My S1 and the flash not opening. I was so dissapointed as I just rec'd my new S1 from eBay and sending it back would have cost big $$ and no camera for how long....Your fix worked GREAT ( though with large hands took a while....LOL )thanks VERY MUCH.
Bull_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 4:47 PM   #23

I searched the forums, for the NO POP up flash on the S1, and I new there was a possible fix, with the washer being moved from its location.

Finally had a free moment, and boy that screw and washer is small. Kept thinking, that I sure didnt want to loose them. BUt I got lucky, and was able to do the right thing, and got the black piece back in, and the screw and washer on top, and to my surprise.

IT WORKED!!!.... The flash pops up again.

This is saving Canon a lot of repair time.

THanks, a bunch.
Microman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:57 AM   #24

Yup, I buggered it up.

I stripped the plastic.

Mine was weird - after 13 months of working flawlessly, I loaned the camera to my mom for her cruise.

It came back with a stuck flash. With a little downward force, it popped up.

There was considerable gap between the flash and the housing.

I removed the screw, clip and washer. Put the clip and washer back in, and it just wasn't right. Too much force on one side was needed to properly secure the flash. I think i torqued the screw down, and stripped the plastic. The screw only spins now and doesn't provide a good grip within the plastic. Now the flash won't stay closed (with the washer back in, or without)

I guess I have no choice but to get it serviced (out of warranty).

Depending on how much it will cost,I might as well replace it with the S2 IS.

Anyone have any other ideas?
phybersplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 6:10 PM   #25

Scott, I, too, am experiencing the "no pop up" flash on the s1. It was fine for about a year. Now I have to push the flash down with one finger while i press the shutter half way to release the mechanism.I'm ready to try your fix on it but cannot seem to loosen the screw, not even a little bit. Any suggestions? I'm afraid I'll strip it and not be able to make the switch with washer.

obie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 2:25 AM   #26

obie wrote:
Quote:
Scott, I, too, am experiencing the "no pop up" flash on the s1. It was fine for about a year. Now I have to push the flash down with one finger while i press the shutter half way to release the mechanism.I'm ready to try your fix on it but cannot seem to loosen the screw, not even a little bit. Any suggestions? I'm afraid I'll strip it and not be able to make the switch with washer.

00 (double zero) phillips screwdriver with a short blade works great.
You can find one in a precision screwdriver set.

Just don't overtighten the screw, or you'll end up witha messed up flash
Old Jan 15, 2006, 8:08 AM   #27

so, did you buy the s2 or have the other one repaired. I called canon and asked about getting those specific parts..*****ew, washer, catch mechanism. Say, I wrench the screw out, I wanted to know if I could buy a new one. So, wonder if you call the parts department at canon if they would just sell you the part you need. The parts department is only open Mon-Fri. So, I will let you know what I find out. I don't plan to do this surgery until I know I can get additional parts. Worst case right now is having to manually open the flash with the flick of a finger. But that's worth trying to remedy.
obie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 1:56 PM   #28

obie wrote:
Quote:
so, did you buy the s2 or have the other one repaired. I called canon and asked about getting those specific parts..*****ew, washer, catch mechanism. Say, I wrench the screw out, I wanted to know if I could buy a new one. So, wonder if you call the parts department at canon if they would just sell you the part you need. The parts department is only open Mon-Fri. So, I will let you know what I find out. I don't plan to do this surgery until I know I can get additional parts. Worst case right now is having to manually open the flash with the flick of a finger. But that's worth trying to remedy.

My problem is that when I torqued the screw back in, I went too far and stripped the plastic in the housing of the flash.

I took it to get repaired at a local camera shop that is a Canon Authorized Repair Centre on Friday. They say 10 business days for the repair.

Since I am just out of warranty (by 20 days) they're going to try to get it done under warranty for me.

If not, then it shouldn't cost more than $100 in parts/labour.

Old Jan 25, 2006, 1:45 PM   #29

I got off the phone with Canon this morning. The first S1 had the pop up problem and I returned it in warranty. This one is now doing it again OUT of warranty. I have used it 3 times. They want $100 to fix it and they are probably doing what you suggested here. ( 2 weeks out of use) The new ones are manual as they can't rip us off but so long before we realize it. You would think with this many problems there would be a recall. I am thinking of writing to consumer affairs as they should at least OFFER to fix it. I am trying to find a small enough screwdriver to fix this. Pity to design a nice camera with poor partwork. Even more of a pity to be so consumer negligent. Thanks for the tip. Sure hope it works for me. I have 1o new white German Shepherd pups that need their pics taken and can't do without as they change quickly.
Kcerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:02 AM   #30

It great to see that many here were able to simply fix their S1s themselves.
I have a different problem with my Canon S1IS flash. The flash pops open fine, but does not flash at all. It was woriking fine till now and is more than a year old.
While taking picture in 'flash on' mode, it only shows the blinking flash symbol (meant to show that the flash is charging), but NO FLASH, NO PICTURE !

The camera works fine with the flash turned off.

Calling Canon Customer service was useless.

It this a case of blown bulb ? , is there a way i can fix this myself ?

surajcz is offline   Reply With Quote