Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 8, 2006, 1:16 PM   #31

Yeah, I think it is the bulb problem, I have had this camera for more than one year...

Today I had the first time, that the flash bulb suddenly started to to work uncorrectly... When I turned on flash in P mode in manual settings (to lowest setting) - when that flash bulb flashed - it sound like a big BANG! and there was some smoke too I turned off my camera and then turned on - I took one picture in Auto mode - and the flash seemd fine, but then when I turned to Tv - and set flash to min - BANG again ...

ehh - I think it is normal - that your flash dont flash anymore 1 year - it's hard time for camera
Skeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:29 PM   #32

The problem has just gotten worse.
First i had to put up with a no-flash and i thought that was bad.
But today, when i turn on the camera, there is no picture ! NONE !
The screen just shows the stats such as number of pictures left and all that ... it shows the menu fine, but wouldnt show anything through the lens !
Man, i am not getting a Canon ever again !

surajcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 7:21 AM   #33

surajcz - it is not because it is a Canon :roll:
Canon Powershot S1 IS is OLD model - it is first of the PowerShot S - series!
Canon Powershot S2IS an S3IS is much better in these things... Just forget about this problem - it was a old camera and it died.... Most of the other cameras of this class, that where produced in that time also have BIG (and I mean it!) problems with lens, motors, electronics and sensors... So it is normal... If you mean it - that you will not buy any other canon - then please tell me witch camera (the end of 2003/2004 january) have got NO problems? :lol:

Seariusly - it nothing big and new... Some brand new cameras die in few months, this one lasted for nearly two years....
Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:32 PM   #34

I have the S1IS and had some pixels go bad and had it fixed. Since then there are a few more bad ones but it isn't under warranty. They are not too noticeable.

But I've taken over 10K pics and have not had any flash problems.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 6:07 PM   #35

10k pictures - is ok
When I said - hard time for camera - I meant this:
In one year I shot with my S1IS -> more than 30 000 pictures and ~40h video (in short clips)
Old Jun 27, 2006, 7:50 AM   #36

Just registered to post this.

My flash would not pop up, just like the others in the thread. I tried a bunch of times to put downward and upward pressure on it when it clicks to release and it still would not open. Since several people mentioned they forced it open, I figured it would be ok if I did that as well. No problem, although it takes a LOT of force to do it. A lot more than I would have used if others hadn't reported doing it. I just pushed firmly and steadily increased until it opened (no jerking, slamming, etc.). Now that I've seen the insides, I can see that using a paperclip to pull the latching arm forward might help it release instead of forcing it open.

Once I got it open, I changed the order of the washer and catch, but it didn't help. So I opened it again and bent the lip of the catch slightly where it catches so that it slopes a bit more downward towards the latching arm. I think it must have still been a little too tight for it to release. After that, the flash was able to pop up.

Hope this helps someone else.
drewkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:57 AM   #37

I have the very same problem as Skeem on my S1 IS. Just last week I was taking pictures when the camera suddenly started making popping noises from the flash. I did see soem smoke as well. I took it into a shop and they said 200 CAD to get a replacement flash circuit board which supposedly now had a short on it.

I'm now wondering what my options are as 200 is what I paid for the whole camera. I just bought it used off my parents a short while ago (about 1.5 months) so it's way too soon to just drop another few hundred on another camera. what are my options for fixing this thing? If it is only a simple short on the board I may be able to fix it myself, but i have no information regarding how these boards are laid out, or how big they are etc.

Any info that you guys can give me on how to proceed on this would be great.

Thanks,
Joe
Joryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:22 AM   #38

Just had the same thing happen on my 2 year old S1. Went to the local Dollar General store and bought the eyeglass repair kit for $1 that had a tiny phillips head driver that fits the flash screw perfectly. A 3 minute repair job and the flash pops up just fine. When closed it doesn't form a perfect seal with the body but that's fine with me. Beats paying $100 to Canon..........:lol:
dshirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:43 AM   #39

I have not one but two Canon S1 IS cameras. Both have the problem where the flash does not pop open without pushing down on the partially open flash at just the right time.

Here's my question for everyone. WHY DOES CANON REFUSE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS DESIGN FLAW? Is the problem a design flaw or a quality control problem? Does it matter?

Canon built their name by building good cameras that you could depend on. Their current attitude seems to be that 'digital' cameras are disposable items that only need to work as long as the warranty.

The lesson here; DON'T BUY CANON
pchidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:20 PM   #40

Hi All,

I'm facing a strange problem with the flash of my S1 IS camera. It used to pop-up automatically till yesterday. But now the pop up is jamming.

Can anyone provide me with some pointers. It wll be highly apreicated.

Thanks

Abhi
Abhi0311 is offline   Reply With Quote