Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 7, 2004, 10:32 AM   #1

Hi all,
I went into a shop and really examined the new G6. Everything looked really promising until I compared the LCD to that of some others in the store and found it dull and nowhere near as sharp and clear, for example, as the Fuji 550. Has anyone experienced the same or is this just something we live with because of all the other plus qualities of this camera?

Chauncey
Chauncey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2004, 10:49 AM   #2

I have the G5, the screen is a little smaller but basically the same as the G6. Its sharp and very bright, perhaps if it was brigtened in the menu it would fix it.
timothy015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2004, 7:49 PM   #3

timothy015 wrote:
Quote:
I have the G5, the screen is a little smaller but basically the same as the G6. Its sharp and very bright, perhaps if it was brigtened in the menu it would fix it.
I agree, my G5 is sharp and bright whilst the pivot facilty copes with most light situations. I can't imagine the G6 being worse. G5 is truly a superb serious compact
kafkaian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2004, 8:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I went down to my local camera store and re-examined the G6 LCD and made sure it was at brightest possible setting in the menu. I did not think it compared well with much of its competition--colors were dull inside the store.
It was a disappointment--I hope others will tell me it is just fine most of the time, but right now I would probably lean towards another camera selection. Any comments/opinions? Have I somehow missed a necessary "tweaking?' I really want to LOVE this camera.

Chauncey
Old Sep 23, 2004, 8:31 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I went down to my local camera store and re-examined the G6 LCD and made sure it was at brightest possible setting in the menu. I did not think it compared well with much of its competition--colors were dull inside the store.
It was a disappointment--I hope others will tell me it is just fine most of the time, but right now I would probably lean towards another camera selection. Any comments/opinions? Have I somehow missed a necessary "tweaking?' I really want to LOVE this camera.

Chauncey
Old Oct 22, 2004, 11:12 AM   #6

I just received my G6, and the LCD looks as good as any other digicam I've used, though it is a little smaller. I'm using it in the dim mode, though I haven't had a sunny day to try it out (it's overcast right now).

Is the LCD that critical? You're using it to frame the shot and change options, right? I could use it if it were balck and white, since I do all my editing on the PC. I've never heard of an LCD affecting the quality of a captured image.

I'm far more concerned about the naked front optic, with no automatic shutter/cover and no threads for a small UV filter. Odd onsidering that you can protect the LCD by flipping it in (I LIKE that). I'd pay $100 to get a replacement lens ring with an auto shutter that didn't stick out by more than few extra mm.

Overzeetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 1:32 PM   #7

:roll:The Canon G6 LCD has only one problem. It completely washes out in even a small amount of daylight. Fine for indoor but lousy outdoors.
Jim (Fairfax, Va.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 10:29 PM   #8

It seems a shame that Canon would do this. I own the g6 and like every thing but the LCD. Bigger isn't better if you can't see it in sunlight. I know you only use the LCD for composing but for me that is extremely important. Are you listening Canon? I have owned the s100 G3 G5 and now the G6 but I may be taking it back and looking at Nikon. I feel as if you have the good stuff ready but are always holding back to entice users into buying the next upgrade. Not a good way toi treat the faithful. Next time take it out of the lab and see for yourself what it is you are turning loose.
stellgar is offline   Reply With Quote