Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 8, 2004, 12:13 AM   #1

Right now, I have a G2, which I like, but am ready to upgrade. I am looking for the best image quality, bvut have read some mixed reviews of the Pro1... Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

--Mark
mark_avant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2004, 9:33 AM   #2

Mark, I am in the same boat. trying to decide between the G6, the powershot pro1 or maybe even the Minolta A2. I have had the G3 for a couple of years and have really liked it. I want a fairly compact camera but as good as the size allows. I like the feel of the canons a lot! I keep hearing about the small sensor size on all the prosumer type cameras and how they seem to intrduce 'noise' into the pictures. I wonder if thats mostly when shooting in low light conditions. I am also reading how the Minolta's screen resolution is really fine. I will have to take a look at that. I love being able to view all my shots on the screen and that would be a plus.

Have you made your choice yet? I'll be curious to see what you get.

Kevin
kaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 6:23 AM   #3

Have to say I have a Pro1 which I am taking back in favour of the G6. I like the wide/zoom range of the Pro1, and its build feels good in the hand, but I had a lot of problems with the focus system. It's slow and freezes the screen while it tries to achieve a lock. The G6 (when set in continuous mode, at any rate) does not do this. The screen freeze would perhaps have been okay if the camera could cope well with focusing, but the general consensus seems to be it is not the best (or rather, there is enough concern from people who are very unhappy with it to put a question mark over what I see as a ratehr simplistic system).
Also, I'm not sure how much of an advantage the Pro1's 8meg sensor is. With more pixels crammed into a smaller space you get more noise, and purple fringing is definately an issue. I think, personally, with the present technology as it stands it's better to go for a 7meg sensor where the pixels have a little more room to breath.

Here's a link to an ongoing evaluation. It's got closeup images of PF and distrotions and the like from Pro1 and Sony 818. Check it out.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10536154
philipsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 8:45 AM   #4

Hello,

please note that the Pro1 sensor (2/3", 8.8x6.6 mm) is 52% bigger than the G6 (1/1.8", 7.18 x 5.32) , so the pixels are no smaller.

However, the G6 7Mp sensor is a newer technology than the Pro1 8Mp and, based on the reviews I'seen so far, it looks like is less affected by problems with noise and purple fringing.

My feeling is that the G6 is a better camera than the Pro1 overall, but for the zoom (4x on the G6, 7x on the Pro1) . The Pro1 wide angle (28mm) is also attractive.

Dario

dariob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 8:19 PM   #5

In referance to the zoom on the pro1. I was experimenting with one at a store and came to find out ( on my own) that the zoom is really a misrepresentation. The 7x they are refffering to is actually the differance between the wide angle and the farthest zoom. As best as I could tell the actual zoom amount is around 4.5x. Just a bit more than the G6. All Canons don't use this method for relaating there zoom. I dont know why the Pro1 does.

Kevin
Old Oct 8, 2004, 12:31 AM   #6

Well I've got a G6 and it's awesome. Total manual control throughout if you wish, crystal clear pics, not only an exposure bracketing system but a focus bracketing system, buttons really well placed and easy to use and the battery lasts like forever.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 8:23 AM   #7

Also, here is a link to the "What camera should I buy" forum:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=87

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 8:34 AM   #8

Suzan,

You obviously have lots of posts so I'm assuming you are a photographer of some sort. What other digital cameras have you used to compare to your G6 to. I now have the G3 and really like it but have been having a hard time deciding which camera to upgrade to... G6 or Pro1

Kevin