Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 9, 2004, 12:08 PM   #1

A Steves Forum post said that the Raynox 2020 would be cool with the S1 IS. I have the 2020, along with Canon's "LAH-DC10 Lens Adapter/ Hood Set" (and LAH-DC10 includes "conversion lens adapter LA-DC52E" and "lens hood LH-DC20). (!!)

The 2020 comes with two adapter rings ("RA6252 F62-M 52 mm size" and "RA6258 F62-M 58 mm size).

The instruction slip that came with the lens doesn't really show how all these pieces attach firmly to the camera itself, and the instructions that came with the Canon Lens Adapter/Hood set doesn't show how to attach etc., and the book that came with the camera also doesn't show how to attach etc. Can anybody help?? Thanks.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2005, 9:32 AM   #2

MichaelJ wrote:
Quote:
A Steves Forum post said that the Raynox 2020 would be cool with the S1 IS. I have the 2020, along with Canon's "LAH-DC10 Lens Adapter/ Hood Set" (and LAH-DC10 includes "conversion lens adapter LA-DC52E" and "lens hood LH-DC20). (!!)

The 2020 comes with two adapter rings ("RA6252 F62-M 52 mm size" and "RA6258 F62-M 58 mm size).

The instruction slip that came with the lens doesn't really show how all these pieces attach firmly to the camera itself, and the instructions that came with the Canon Lens Adapter/Hood set doesn't show how to attach etc., and the book that came with the camera also doesn't show how to attach etc. Can anybody help?? Thanks.

I am interested in the 2020. Would you let me know where you purchased it.

Thank you

StanStan
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 9:40 AM   #3

BugEye digital (http://www.BugEyeDigital.com), $198.95, quick delivery, good service, excellent lens.

Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:12 PM   #4

I am assuming that you have threaded the lens to the adapter and are trying to attach the adaptor to the camera body?

As you are looking at the front of the camera: at the bottom next to the lens housing you'll see a button. Press that in and hold it down. Now turn the trim ring on the lens housing (counter clockwise I believe) and it will come off exposing some threads. This is where you attach the adaptor. See the attached example from the owners manual.

I'm not familiar with the lens you mention but the Canon lens sure made a big difference for me. Able to get that extra distance I was missing.

Mark
Attached Images

mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:20 PM   #5

All set, thanks. (My problem stemmed from not realizing that the adapter is delivered as one piece. Actually, that one piece is separable into two: a conical piece (no taper at either end) for use with a telephoto lens, and a flared piece for use with a closeup lens.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:26 AM   #6

post pics back when you get it working, i wanna see?
bayoubooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 1:36 PM   #7

Too big to post. Some random pix are at
http://ksghome.harvard.edu/~mjjohnson/

thru 3/3/05.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 6:15 PM   #8

MichaelJ: are the pictures posted in your link indeed all taken with the Canon S1 IS + Raynox DCR-2020PRO?

This is crucially important to me!
They would be the ONLY pictures I found on the web taken with this setup!

So you don't experience any vignetting at all?
MCSmarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 12:47 PM   #9

No vignetting after advancing to and beyond 10x zoom (and manual confirms this). Only the photos (new posting) w/ "tele" in title were taken with the Raynox. I love the lens. I am not yet worthy of it.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 5:42 PM   #10

MichaelJ wrote:
Quote:
No vignetting after advancing to and beyond 10x zoom (and manual confirms this).
I am not sure what you mean. Are you saying that you have to go to 10x optical before the vignetting dissappears? (which is what I'd expect)
And which manual are you referring to? Does the lens come with one?

In terms of "usability", what would you say is the minimum focal distance you need before you can use the picture after cropping the vignetting out?
Let me explain: for example, the canon adapter (TC-DC52B) is considered "usable" from about half-way out (S1 IS zoom factor approx. 6x to 10x).
Would you say the Raynox is similar or that it's hopeless to try and take pictures with it if it's not completely zoomed in? (10x optical?)

It would be absolutely awesome if you could post test pictures of this!!
I think you are the only person on the forum that actually owns the Raynox DCR-2020PRO + Canon S1 IS combo and a lot of people (including me) are very interested in this setup...

Thanks a lot for being patient with all my questions!!

MichaelJ wrote:
Quote:
I am not yet worthy of it.
You took some very nice pictures.:|
I specially liked 2474 and 2475. But what happened in 2469? Did you use digital zoom? Or did you switch to ISO 400?
MCSmarties is offline   Reply With Quote