Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 9, 2004, 4:24 PM   #1

Finally... they say the main concept is to fix the CF problems...

Anyone want to test it on his camera ????

Link below :

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss1is/firmware-e.html
_Bunio_[PL] is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2004, 2:47 AM   #2

Having read the page it suggests the main improvements are with the Compact flash problems, I wasn't going to update as i have not noticed a problem with this.

However a few folks at DPReview suggest there are low light focusing improvements so i gave it a go, it worked ok and it does seem to find focus much quicker in low light, can anyone else confirm or is it just wishful thinking.
redmikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 2:38 PM   #3

ok.

i've also changed firmware from 1.0 to 2.0 and it's true - AF in low light IS a bit faster - whileshooting in low lightyou can see as fast the image is corrected - it's really good improvement...

the CF card problem - i'll try it next week -i had problem with PRETEC 512 and KINGSTON 512 HS - we shall see..........

the upgrade itself took about 3,5 minutes...

Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:02 PM   #4

i've noticed one more thing - the camera seems to have a better correctionin focus- i remeber while shooting with firmware 1.0.1.0 some leafs on the grass ( or other things with no color difference in the background, about 10-20 cm. distance) i always got "green" AF (shooting of course in good light) - now with 1.0.2.0 i'm having sometimes "yellow" AF and the picture really is different on PC (but there is no difference on 10x15 photos from lab).

Now after few tests i'mbeginning to believethat while i get "green" sopt - photo is really ok...

Anyone noticed that and can confirm my suspicion ideas ?

PS. Sorry for my english:?

--== Ezhik v tumane ==--
Old Sep 11, 2004, 2:07 PM   #5

Hi i just got S1 IS and a 512 TwinMoss CF i encounter few problems
1. Some times it takes huge amounts of time to start
2. I losed some pictures
3. Some times it hangs.

From what i have been told here it seems that this model has problems with CF's i will update Firmware and keep you posted?
dreamon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 1:05 AM   #6

Hi All ,Re other improvements to S1 other than cf card problems ,I noted on the site that canon list 1.0.2.0 as improving the above problem but I think people are geting ideas about other improvements from the paragraph below which states that this download also includes the previously released 1.0.1.0 which did have autofucus improvements as one of its features .I have downloaded that one previously and it did indeed provide improved autofocus in continuos mode.If people had not already done that upgrade then they will see an improvement but I am sure canon would have trumpeted any further AF improvements loudly as this is still the worst aspect of an otherwise good camera.I probably wont do this upgrade in the short term as my sandisk ultra 2 cards have worked flawlessly so far.

Brendon
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 5:18 AM   #7

I had already done the upgrade to 1.0.1, the only change i noticed was the Lcd freezing problem corrected. this latest upgrade though does seem to improve focusing in low light.
redmikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 9:53 AM   #8

Hi redmikee .I will have to upgrade myself then as autofocus is one area I would love to see improved .I willl have to think of some way to semi sceintifically test pre and post upgrade.Have you had a look at the threads about this upgrade on dpreview.com-canon talk?

Brendon
Old Sep 13, 2004, 1:59 AM   #9

is it newer than the one they released around the 14 of july'04
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 6:09 AM   #10

Hi ,the one released in july was 1.0.1.0 this is the next one 1.0.2.0.

Brendon