Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 20, 2004, 10:17 AM   #1

Help me...I am in dire straits.

Just when I am about to buy the Sony W1 (W12 actually) I get sidetracked by another camera. This time it is the Canon A95.

I am a relative photography beginner. I am looking for a camera that will take great photos when I go travelling. However I expect that I will want more manual function as I get better, so in addition to a camera that takes great photos in auto mode, I also want one that has manual ability that I can grow into.

These are my criteria:
1) Great photo quality
2) Great photoquality on auto mode
3) Camera about the size of the W1.
4) About the same price too.
5) As much manual function as possible

Great photo quality is the most important thing. Whilst A95 has manual function I want (W1 does not have shutter-speed nor aperture priority) if its picture quality is not as good as that on the W1, then the W1 will always win.

So basically the question is about image quality and manual control. Is there any difference in photo quality between the two? And what are the manual control functions like on the W1?

Help me please. Comments and advice from any and everybody is welcomed (actually desperately needed!)
Martin.
incognito167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2004, 8:24 AM   #2

Hi, speaking as an absolute amateur here! I had a CanonA60 to start with, then went to a W1 but didn't like the "soft" feel that it gave to pictures (even the review here says this is down to aggresive noise reduction but can be subjective so I'll leave it here so as not to get a flaming!!). I loved the feel, the fact that it only used 2AA batteries and the big LCD. I took that back & got an S500 but found that I didn't take it out as much as I thought I would. I returned that (took good pictures though)for an A95 and couldn't be happier. The screen is fantastic, all the "scene" modes and manual options are great for me to kind of "grow into" the longer I have this & the pics I have taken so far are just what I expected, sharp & colourful. I really cannot rate this camera high enough. And CF is a lot cheaper that memory stick too. Just got a 512 card for £36.00 delivered. Good luck!
pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:49 PM   #3

Wow!

Thanks for the reply. I am now leaning towards the A95 - photo quality as good or better than the W1, far more manual control, cheaper CF card etc.

The only thing that bothers me is - 4AA batteries (no rechargeables nor charger included, though I like the fact that it uses AA) and it is probably just a touch too large to be completely pocket sized.

I have got to go back to the shop to test it properly.I have decided not to rush buying my camera (I had been rearching for the last 3 weeks, hoping to buy it by tommorrow - that is never gonna happen!)and so will do some research into others in that range (if you knew how obsessive I am about researching electircal goods you'll know what a step this is for me- my friends and family are sick to death with my constant digicam garbled chatter!)

Thanks again.

Martin.
incognito167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 3:28 AM   #4

You're welcome. You're right to do your research properley, had I done the same I would have waited and just got this one from the start. Try ebuyer / 7day shop for rechargeables and chargers, they're barely more than regular ones these days. I actually managed to get some from a clearancebin in Woollies earlier this year (4x2300's + charger for £5.99!!!) so there are bargains to be had. For me, this camera just feels right and takes great pics but then I started off with a Canon & they say you never forget your first!!

All the best...

pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:37 AM   #5
blr

I am a W1 owner. In my case the choice was easier since I already own an Oly C5050. However, if it were my first or only digicam there would have been much more to consider. Both cameras have their strong and weak points. The w1 has this issue with the softness due to overprocessing. On the other hand the image noise is very low indeed and images take sharpening very well. After 5 minutes on PS the images look great. The w1 is also smaller and lighter, has a bigger LCD and better movie mode. Canon A95 has more manual control and better images straight out of the camera it uses much cheaper CF cards as well, build quality is a bit below the w1. Hmm, it's a tough one but I'd say if this is going to be your only camera go with the Canon. If you think that you may need something better in the future get the smaller Sony, you can always use it as point and shot after you get something bigger
blr is offline   Reply With Quote