Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 20, 2004, 2:54 PM   #1

My wife took my A70 with her on a trip and had some problems with it...when she got back the lens was stuck open and it gives an E18 error.

It seems to be taking pictures OK, but the lens isn't fully retracted and the self closing cover to protect the lens isn't fully closing. I think it might be some sort of physical damage (it was bouncing around in her purse)and before ripping into it I was hoping someone might have some advice...

Any idea if there is a warranty for this sort of thing? It's not even a year old.

Thanks!
tx_beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2004, 3:14 PM   #2

The "e18" error is a common problem with several of Canon's digital cameras. It's been discussed in Steves Forums several times. If you put "e18" into the search box in the Canon forum, you should be able to find out quite a bit about it. You can do a search in your web browser or at google and probably turn up even more information.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 3:51 PM   #3

Thanks, I poked around a bit on the web and found way too much complaining about the problem, and not too much on fixing it. I'll probably tear it apart and hope for the best...
tx_beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 7:13 PM   #4

Ive never messed with it or have seen it but i would guess its a timming problem with gears and switches. It could also be a surface mount fuse that controls the motor that drives the gears. I have an A510 and i can see problems with this thing. The lense going in and out when it starts ive had my hand infront of it as its powered up and it pushed my hand out of the way.

Dropping it on the lense i can see this being a problem.

I think what im going to do is get that lense filter adaptor and install that as a protective cover over the front. I think this can not only help keep dust out but also work as a shield around the whole mechanisim that seems to be the #1 problem with this model.
BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:38 PM   #5

I don't have the site saved but there is a how to site on the internet. Before you open it upsee if you can find it by typing in search enginee18 or canon camera lens failure or similar. It has step by step instructions (with photos) that will guide you through this.

Sorry I didn't save itbutit was in first or second page of search results and incredible indetail. Worth ashotI think.

Oh yes, and my canon camera is kaput for good also. Bad pr from canon non customer service about this problem so you'll have to try yourself I suppose

Hope you can fix it.

Brian
Brian J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 3:42 AM   #6

I found 2 cheap "As is" A60s on e-bay so i bought them both and fixed them both. The first one needed new batteries and a slight tug on the lense to un jam it. The front lense cover in the front needed some lubrication and it works gret now. The second one was twisted a little and gave the E18 error. I tore the whole camera down to the lense mechanism and then i foudn 3 screws that i didnt have the right tool for. They were some weird hex head and had glue over them. I stopped there and since i was holding the lense in my hand i decided to crank on it. Just a little twist and it click back in place and then moved freely. I could move it in and out with my hand it was so free. I put it all back together and im amazed it works.

I had one screw left over and a little plastic shiled other then that im actualy suprised as hell that i got it all back together. I must of taken out 75 little tiny screws. Im sure i got some in the wrong place but im just happy it freakin works!

I took it apart a few times because i put some screws in to soon and had to move a few steps back just as i made a few steps forward. It took me about 8 hours but was a fun learning experience. I dont know how long it will last but Ive already taken about 50 pictures with it and just the time i spent on it was worth it.

Its funny you hear people talk about canon cameras and all the horror stories but everyone i know has a canon. My brother has called me 3 times to tell me wich canon his friends have. The reason why there are so many problems is because everyone and their mother has a canon.

I have an A510, 2 A60s and an A70 and i love em.
BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 3:37 PM   #7

Canon "had" a good rep but it has fallen in recent years. They were number one but I believe they now stand at 2 or 3according toa survey that I saw where Canon actuallyattached a lengthy response acknowledging their decline.

That is my complaint. Customer service is bottom dwelling. This is a documented flaw in the A-series cameras. Canon always denies even hearing about the problem butEVERY camera store, and big box stores that sell Canon (I repeat EVERY) know of this problem.

Not every A-series canon camera fails but an unacceptable amount fail and the customer is left to search for a solution. In my case, I'm stuck with about $350.00 in flash cards that do not work with newer cameras.

ItriedEbay, but there seemed to be a lot there selling for parts because of stuck lenses. Others were a little pricey butI'll haveanother look.
Brian J is offline   Reply With Quote