Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 24, 2004, 2:59 AM   #11

thanks for reply

are you saying then, that i can record movie for over 3 minutes w/ my s400 if i get a high speed CF right now?

or is it just for sd200/300 ?
larciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 10:07 AM   #12

larciel wrote:
Quote:
thanks for reply
are you saying then, that i can record movie for over 3 minutes w/ my s400 if i get a high speed CF right now or is it just for sd200/300 ?
The 3 minute limitation on the Canon S400 was a limitation of the camera itself and not the media. There is a chance that Canon might have issued a software update that would remove that limitation, but the chance is extremely slim. I think there was one camera that that happened to and I pretty sure that that wasn't it (just a very vague recollection). However it wouldn't hurt to check out the Canon website and see what updates are available for your camera.
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 3:46 PM   #13

actually, I wasn't very impressed with the image quality of the stuff posted on the Japanese website; you can see some clearly visible noise, and the images for the SD200 are clearly much worse than the SD300 (type of photo taken). It seems they're trying to bias people into getting the SD300 (the fact that the SD300 looks a lot better doesn't help much either)...

Oh yeah, and I'm sort of a n00b when it comes to the really techincal apsects of digital cameras, what does "The CCD is an 1/2.5" insted of the 1/1.8" mean exactly. Is a larger CCD aperture better or is a smaller one better? Thanks!
turanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 6:26 AM   #14

any idea of how the battery life on the sd300 will be compared to say the exilim z40/55 ?

also, australian retailers are being really coy about whne they will actually get stock - anyone have any inside info?

cheers,
zorblart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 7:30 AM   #15

Seems to me that the big news about these cameras is the new Digic II and it's higher processing speed.
MikeCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 4:27 PM   #16

for me, it's the 2.0 inch LCD in such a form factor...basically a Z40 with much better image quality ( i hope)
Old Oct 1, 2004, 2:44 PM   #17

I found some more pictures from these cameras, but I am NOT impressed with them. I won't be searching the internet for any more info on these cameras (unless it is proven that the cameras can do better than this).

SD200 samples
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...&modelid=10595

SD300 samples
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...&modelid=10599
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 7:23 PM   #18

Hi Beverley,

To me those samples seem okay - but i am not at all experienced in digital cameras.

Could you please elaborate as to why you arent impressed?

I am about to buy one of these cameras, so i am curious.

Thank you
zorblart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 7:52 PM   #19

quite a bit of noise in the dark regions for sure, but nothing too bad. Like I said, they're not impressive, but if you want the form factor the picture quality to me looks to be just a slight notch below an S410. And the quality is definitely better than the Z40, so I think this is still a viable option. We'll have to see after more reviews are posted i guess.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 9:30 AM   #20
yob

I think the quality of the pictures is quite well for a camera like this. I was await that the chromatic aberration is higher because of the "stronger" lenses. When you compare this pictures with the competitors then the Canon-images are looking really good!
yob is offline   Reply With Quote