Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 21, 2004, 8:43 AM   #1

Canon just announced the Powershot SD300 (4.0MP, 35-105mm, 130g w/o batteries and card, 86x53x21mm, $399) and the Powershot SD200 (3.2MP, 35-105mm, 115g w/o b+c, 86x53x21mm, $299).

On paper these cameras looks really good to me. They are very small, have 35mm as the starting point on wide angle (yes! can't stand the 38mm starting point most camera have), have a AF lamp, AND adds quality movies (30fps at 640x480 and the all new 60fps at 320x240 movie mode!) Now I can't wait to see the picture quality.
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2004, 1:05 PM   #2
yob

hello Beverly W

Yes, I'm wondering too about the picture-quality. The CCD is an 1/2.5" insted of the 1/1.8" used in the other IXUS befor! We will see... maybe not until December

grŁessli

yob
yob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 1:21 PM   #3

Love your picture of the cat and fish. Did you have a cat/kitten curl up in some glass container to inspire your creativity?
Old Sep 22, 2004, 12:26 AM   #4
yob

no... I didn't take this picture! It is from the Internet and I found it very special :-)
Old Sep 22, 2004, 1:52 PM   #5

Here are some sample pictures and video (both 60fps and 30 fps) of these new cameras. They look good, but it is hard to tell with such a small number of samples.

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pssd200/index-e.html#sam
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pssd300/index-e.html#sam
Old Sep 22, 2004, 3:48 PM   #6

I didn't realize at first that those links I gave above have a lot of additional information if you scroll all the way up and then drill down on all of the links. At this point I can't find any other websites that have any sample images. I tried about half of the individual country Canon websites. Most don't even acknowledge these cameras yet.

That link again is:
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pssd200/index-e.html#sam_av
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pssd300/index-e.html#sam_av
Old Sep 23, 2004, 3:43 AM   #7
yob

I don't like this official samples. Always everything looks great on it... but this might not be the reality!
Old Sep 23, 2004, 9:31 AM   #8

What I would like to see in future samples on this camera is a much closer up portrait picture, a close up picture of some flowers with prickly / hairy stems, a nature landscape with lots of fine details in both the foreground and background. The pictures this site choice really does not test a cameras abilities / flaws. That always makes you wonder if they are hiding something or just being conservative so as not to ANY minor flaws. Based on these samples I would not be willing to buy it without first seeing Steve's test pictures.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:43 AM   #9

i think i've found replacement for my aging S400

couple questions and grunts.

1. only 16mb SD is included ! my s400 had 32mb CF back when it was just released.

2. would this camera finally be lifted from the 3minute limitation of continuous movie taking? i hated this on mine when i went to a local concert and wasn't able to record a whole single song ...

3. would this camera (and or my S400) support those x40/x60 high fast card? my friend just bought s410 and it came w/ 'high speed' cf and it seemed little faster than my regular kingston... so i wonder if there is limitation of CF card when using in even low-end cameras such as s400 or this sd300.

thanks in advance and hope to enjoy this place
larciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2004, 4:22 PM   #10

larciel wrote:
2. would this camera finally be lifted from the 3minute limitation of continuous movie taking?* i hated this on mine when i went to a local concert and wasn't able to record a whole single song ...[/quote]

Yes, you would be able to do continuous movies up to the capacity of your high speed SD card for the standard movie format (640x480 at 30 or 15fps, or 320x240 at 30 or 15fps). In the fast frame rate mode (320x240 at 60 fps) you will only get up to one minute. In the compact mode (160x120 at 15fps) you get up to 3 minutes. That said you are still going to have somewhat short videos since the AVI movie format (along with most movie formats) take up a TON of space. Won't know the exact length until more info comes out on these cameras.

larciel wrote:
3. would this camera (and or my S400) support those x40/x60 high fast card?* my friend just bought s410 and it came w/ 'high speed' cf and it seemed little faster than my regular kingston... so i wonder if there is limitation of CF card when using in even low-end cameras such as s400 or this sd300.[/quote]

Actual with this camera they switched the media to SD so your CF cards won't work. The website says in parentheses "using high speed SD card", but I'm not sure if they meant that you must use a high speed card to record movies or only high speed cards will allow you to record to the capacity of the card.