Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 23, 2004, 12:15 AM   #1

I just noticed white horizontal bands in images shot in dark conditions with my relatively new Canon A70.

I tried to examine my photos to find out where exactly they started. Its been inconclusive because most of the photos were in bright conditions.

I did shoot a few photos outdoors. Is it possible to have burnt the CCD just by shooting photos of trees and the sky in manual mode?

If I shoot an image in complete darkness with ISO 400, I can see the noise paterns clearly in horizontal bands. These bands seem to be in the same position and have the same pattern in every photo where they are noticible.

I was just wondering what caused this... Any ideas?

Rylan
Attached Images

rylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2004, 12:32 PM   #2

Found that this problem can be solved by turning off the shutter sound. Apparently its because the unit doesnt have enough power to do both things properly simultaneously. It probably started when I switched to a more noisy sound scheme!

Pity though.

Rylan
rylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2004, 12:38 PM   #3
Administrator

Very Interesting Find (shutter sound)! Have you tested this in identical conditions without and without it turned on to make sure?

One of the theories floating around about banding problems is that it's caused by electrical interference (this problem is not unique to your model). In other words, if close to electrical wiring, monitors, etc., it could be worse.

So, turning off the shutter sound may be worth a try on some other cameras, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote