Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 23, 2004, 5:19 PM   #1

I just purchased the Powershot S70. I had encountered problems with high speed shooting, shoots the first 3-4 at the right speeed then slows down alot. This is at any resolution. Any suggestions? Here is a review of the NEW enhanced buffer... The S70's enhanced buffering became evident in both Standard and High Speed Continuous shooting, capturing more images before slowing down than the S60. Standard Continuous Shooting captured 17 shots in 14 seconds, with subsequent shots at 3 second intervals; in this mode, the LCD viewfinder displays the last image captured, not the live image. High Speed Continuous Shooting captured 10 shots in 5 seconds, with subsequent shots at 3 second intervals; in this mode, the LCD viewfinder was blank for the entire sequence. You'll prefer to use the S70's optical viewfinder when shooting a moving subject in either continuous mode. Performance measurements were made shooting Large Superfine images with a Sandisk Extreme 1 GB CF memory card installed. The S70's responsiveness is more than adequate for capturing most family events, spontaneous action and children's sports activities.
airdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:01 PM   #2

GBlades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2004, 12:49 AM   #3

I got an S70 yesterday. I don't have an answer for you, but it seemed to me the very first time I used High Speed Continous shooting mode (Large image and Fine compression), the rate was fast, about 1 or 2 per second, I didn't measure thetime. Ever since that initial test, the S70 is very slow, about 1 every 2 seconds.

Don't rely too much on the numbers I quote above, I need to do some more experiments. The main reason I am writing is to ask if you still have the same problem. The manual clearly states speeds of 2 per second can be achieved.
richparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 2:17 PM   #4

I have done more experimenting with my S70 and find I can take 8 images in 5 seconds. The specs say 10 images in 5 seconds which is close enough. I discovered that the amount of light available is a factor. For example, indoors with minimal light, it is closer to 5 images in 5 seconds.

good luck,
richparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 2:57 PM   #5
Administrator

Any type of sequential or burst mode speeds must be calculated outdoors in "sports" type environments - i.e. well lit. Burst mode speeds are dependant on fast shutter speeds, indoors the shutter speed goes WAY down! It also makes a difference which JPEG quality you use.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 3:14 PM   #6

Thanks guys for the replies. My test were all outdoors, first 4 fire at the right speed, then slows down to 1 per seond. I have a neighbour who has the S60, and it performs great, fast the way it was advertised. I have tried combinations of all sizes and compression. It does not make a difference. The S60 i got to try for a whole day, and I am ver impressed. 5 mp compared to 7mp. I might just return the S70.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 3:16 PM   #7

Airdrie, Alberta