Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 30, 2004, 9:50 AM   #1

II heard they are no longer producing the S1 IS, which leads me to believe they will introduce a new model.

What do you hear?

I need a zoom 10+ camera with image stabilization

before Christmas.

Thanks

Al

allancb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2004, 12:59 PM   #2

I've heard no official rumors as of yet, but no doubt there should be something similar (and updated). Since it so far has not been announced and would have been seen by someone by now at the photo show, I would guess any new models to replace it will wait till late spring before they're announced.

P.S.... there is no need to PANIC with the "??????????????????" in the subject line.
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 1:00 PM   #3

I just emailed Canon's customer service yesterday to ask them about this. I was told that there are some newermodels being worked on right now, but nothing that's in the same lineup as the S1 IS. But you never know, maybe they're trying to keep it "hush hush."
sacredtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 6:45 AM   #4

Anyone have any updates on this yet? I am looking to replace my S1 IS and took a look at the new Z15 and Z20, but was not too thrilled about it as I would like to stick with a Canon.

Is a S2 or S3 coming out anytime soon?

Old Oct 16, 2004, 6:54 AM   #5

I am afraid with Photokina over for another year there may not be a replacement for a while.At least this might mean they are taking time to get it right from the start this time, one got the feeling that the S1 was a little "under done" on release with two firmware updates in quick succesion(at least Canons response was fairly quick.).

I still enjoy my S1 and upgrades are purely academic for me as all my cash is spoken for elseware!

Brendon
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 12:19 PM   #6

well, photokina is held every two years, right? I too, was waiting for an announcement that never came.

If I were you, I'd get a Z15. I got my S1 a few weeks ago and can't say I'm thrilled. It's OK. Pics are soft, zoom works fine. Low light conditions -- forget about it! Won't focus no matter what.
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 12:31 PM   #7
Administrator

PMA 2005 is coming up in Feb - more new cams announced there for sure!
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 4:14 PM   #8

coontie wrote:
Quote:
well, photokina is held every two years, right? I too, was waiting for an announcement that never came.

If I were you, I'd get a Z15. I got my S1 a few weeks ago and can't say I'm thrilled. It's OK. Pics are soft, zoom works fine. Low light conditions -- forget about it! Won't focus no matter what.
I had a Canon G3 and sold it for my current S1 IS; big mistake! I love the zoom capability, but beyond that, the quality has a lot to be desired and not having the AF illuminator is a bad move on Canon's part.

I am debating on moving up to the Z15 or Z20 or holding off on the successor to the Canon S1 IS which I wish would have occurred by now given the disappointment in the camera.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 1:11 PM   #9

you know, you're right the zoom is fantastic but i feel like the image quality was sacrificed.

Now, If PMA 2005 is in Feb like Steve said, perhaps they'll announce S2? It'll be exactly 1 yr since S1 was introduced -- time for a new model, damn it
Old Oct 19, 2004, 1:15 PM   #10

Also, check this image out. Notice the bluish tint on the left girl's sleeve. What's up with that??

I've no idea what that is even. And that photo was taken with S1...
Attached Images