Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 2, 2005, 10:33 PM   #11

hi cindy... i found the patch or "firm ware" up date here at steves digicam.. http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin....html#pro1firm

Like i said, i went to install the firmwear and the message came up that said it was already installed. Hey, how long ago did you buy yours?? i just got mine in december of 04 through dell. I love it, i find no problems at all.. im no pro and havent used any other cams except my mini DV and an older olympus D360L so this pro1 is all new and great to me. In fact, i just took a really cool pic tonight im gonna enter in the P O D here at this site... wish me luck!

-zacker-
zacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:13 AM   #12

Can you say unacceptably slow shutter response?

Most everything about the camera is pretty good. Images sharper than my 1Dm2 with L lenses. But: that shutter lag (associated with the internal LCD display) is a real problem.

While I HAVE used it for real photography - a beach shoot in Hawaii for example - the lag was a serious problem that cost me shots. And little or no support for it - no major firmware updates, notes, etc.

Will it be discontinued? Just guessing, but that wouldn't surprise me.

What else? The G6 is a great camera. Just not as much zoom range. Or go with the Nikon equivalent.

Or - Buy a 20D or even a 10D if you can find one. Every bit as high a quality image as the Pro 1. Normal 35mm shutter lag, lenses you can play with, and so on. Worth the extra few bucks.

Tim

TDM_Canon_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 7:51 AM   #13

whats shutter lag?? the time between shots?? I dont see a problem but then again, i'm no proffessional, hell I cant even spell the word!!!!!

lol

really though, please tell me what you mean by shutter lag?? I might be experiencing it but dont realize it.

thanks.

-zacker-
Old Jan 3, 2005, 4:36 PM   #14

Thanks Tim (TDM_Canon_User) for your comments & suggestions.

Given all the concerns/problems that are coming to light aboutthePro1, I will probably end up having to drop it from my short list. It's too bad ... I really liked it at first.

However, other cameras that I'm looking at have their own set ofshortcomings as well (not quite as many as the Pro1). I'm starting to find the process of sorting out these cameras a little frustrating:angry:.(Maybe I'msuffering from too much information!) It's too bad this wasn't a 'perfect' world, with 'perfect' cameras. :lol:

In addition to the Pro1, I'm also looking at; Canon G6, Konica-Minolta A200, Nikon 8800, and the Panasonic FZ20 (only a 5 Mp camera, but has a really sweet lens).

Dean

DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:06 PM   #15

Hi again Zacker! :homey:

"Whats shutter lag", you ask! I'm no 'prophesional' either (and my spelling can beworse than yours), so I would not normally tacklea technical question, but this question ofyoursis fairly straight forward.

Just to be safe, I'll quote from Steve's Digicam Dictionary:
"Shutter Lag - The time between pressing the shutter (button) and actually capturing the image. This is due to the camera having to calculate the exposure, set the white balance and focus the lens."

The Pro1's shutter lag is quiteslow (a common complaint with this camera), and is a MAJOR concern if you shoot anyaction photography (sports, wildlife, moving human interest, etc.) like I do. However, if you aremostly intostill photography (portraits, open scenes, macro, etc.), this is not 'quite' as much of a concern. If I understand correctly, the 'firmware' upgrade for the Pro1 has made it's shutter lag a little faster, but I'm still seeing & hearinga lot of complaints.

Hope this helps:!:

Dean

Old Jan 3, 2005, 7:44 PM   #16

well, in my not so" prophessinaoul" opinion, the shutter lag isnt really a problem, yo push the button half way to get the focus, then you push the rest of the way to take the pic. The time it takes you to push the button halfway and wait for the focus, is about the same as it would take you to manually focus a camera.... i really dont see what the big deal is... although, i am coming off of using an olympus d360L so.....

-zacker-
Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:13 PM   #17

Well Mr. "not so prophessinaoul":lol:, good for you ... you've brought upa related subject! :idea:

The definition of "Shutter Lag" involvespushingthe shutter button all the way down, and all at once (i.e. nopre-focusing). If you are first pressingthe shutter button downhalf way to allow the camera to 'pre-focus', etc.,and then, when all is ready, you press the shutter button down the rest of the way to take the picture, you areonly experiencing "pre-focused shutter lag".

"Pre-focused shutter lag" on most of the latest digicams (including the Pro1) is fairly fast (~1/10 of a second), and is MUCH faster than non-pre-focusedshutter lag. If the type of photography that you do allows you to hold & pre-focus before taking the shot, then the slow "non-pre-focused" shutter lag time of the Pro1 may not be an issue for you.

Unfortunately, for others (like myself) whosometimes have to take pictures rather quickly (no time to hold & pre-focus), involving moving subjects, action candid shots, sports photography, wildlife,etc., a camera with a slow non-pre-focused shutter lag time is a REAL handicap! A lot can change in an action scene in a 1/2 second or more!

Also of concern with some cameras (including the Pro1) is the slow cycle time while rapidly taking severalnon pre-focused shots one after the other (i.e. rapid succession or 'continuous shooting'). It doesn't sound like you do this type of photography either, so this may be a non-issue for you as well.
Dean:|
Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:53 PM   #18

yes you are right! But, how does your camera focus and all that in such a short period of time?? I dont understand. If you see a bird and you want to get it... you just point and shoot? no pre focus or anything and it comes out good?? what kind of camera are you using??

I was trying to decide between the pro1, the dscf828 or a used f717 the pro1 seemed to be the best one. even price wise!

-zacker-
Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:59 PM   #19

DeanB ... however, steve's camera review actually gives shutter lag time for pre-focused and focused conditions.

I take shutter lag to mean the time it takes the shutter to activate...independent of the focusing time. Because shutter lag was really first defined for manual cameras that didn't have autofocus and exposure computations etc. And they had this button that actually took some time to depress all the way. Since the development of autofocus etc, extra terms need to be defined. If the camera needs to focus automatically, then we can define these extra terms, such as pre-focused shutter lag, and focused shutter lag.

Otherwise, we should call it electronic/digital camera shutter lag...or call it computation lag or whatever.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:08 PM   #20

I think my eyes have shutter lag anyway!!! :-)

-zacker-