Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:30 AM   #21

To Zacker -

As previously mentioned, I don't have a digicam yet ... I'm stillin the process of searching for one ... one that operates (focuses, etc.)as fast as possible,within my budget. Your example of trying tophotographa bird in flight is a good one! Unless the camera was set with a large depth of field (small aperture), I'm guessing even the best high-end DSLR cameras would be hard pressed to takean in-focuspicture of afast moving bird,with a quick off-hand shot. As for the types of digicamsI'm looking at, I'm sureitwouldn't be possible.

I like yourcomment; "I think my eyes have shutter lag":lol: You mayhaveinspireda new term: 'Photographer's Eye Lag'

To Kenny -

Yes, you're right! Thedefinition of 'shutter lag' goes way back in camera history, and I believe you are also right about it's original intent. However, I understand that theSteve's Digicam Dictionary is intendedfordigicams only. It would seem that new technologies requirenew meanings for old terms.:-) As for inventingnew, and/or more refinedterms for digicams, you just might have a good idea there! :idea:

Dean:|
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 1:18 AM   #22

Zacker,

The Powershot Pro 1 Shutter Lag is:

1. Camera is on... you're just waiting for a subject...

2. Subject comes up, moves a bit... is in the perfect shadow tolight combo...

3. You push the focus/meter half way to compose...

waiting.... waiting...

.... subject moves and is now in bright light... waiting...

4. Camera now is focused and exposed right and beeps I'M READY.

5. Push shutter release...

camera fires.

6. Now do it again and get the shot you wanted that you missed the first time while the camera was getting ready to say OKAY I'M READY.

Doesn't happen on my S50, my G series, my D60 or my 1Dm2. The lag is probably due to having to get the video to the LCD correct before it can be displayed in a nice way...

TDM_Canon_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 8:01 AM   #23

ohhhh. i see. sooo. hopefully then, a new patch to fix this may pop up sometime??

im taking it into the florida everglades next week, ill see how it works out there.

-zacker-
zacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 1:04 AM   #24

Hey There Zacker,

What's a boy (man) from Connecticutdoing, going down to the Florida Everglades this time of year? R u tryin' to escape from the Connecticut winter?!:blah: Yes ... I'm justa little bit jealous ... I wish I was going there too. The weather up here in Calgary has beenVERY <<COLD>> these past few dayzzzzz.:cart:

When you get back, please post some of your photos on this thread to share with us.
Have a GRRREAT time in Florida, and takelots off pictures, eh!:|

Dean

P.S. From what I've heard, there are no plans for any further'firmware' upgrades for the Pro1. For the type of photography you do, that shouldn't bemuch of a concern.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 8:02 AM   #25

hey dean, ya hit the nail right on the head!! and right as i type this, im soaking wet from shoveling all this white garbage that fell overnight and is now turning to rain!!! But, by this time tomorrow i should be sitting in NY's Kennedy Airport waiting for my flight to Florida!!! So, in the words of "special Ed" - Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!!

lol.

Oh, I will take lots of pics, I have two batteries, two 1gig cards, a 512 and the 64 the pro1 came with!! plus, im bringing the Sony MiniDV which has a 1 gig and a back up 64 and about 12 hrs of tape... should be quite fun!!

I'll post ONLY the good ones.......

Take care, see ya in a week!

-zacker-
Old Jan 13, 2005, 6:55 PM   #26

i purchased my pro1 in dec 04, the autofocus in good light is very good, in low light its a bit slow. but acceptable for my purposes. I really dont see a problem with shutter lag, i think some are confusing lag with actual shutter release travel, the pro1 seems to need to be pressed a bit further than my old G2. but there is no lag. if its in focus at the time you grab the shot it will fire the shutter instantly. any lag you notice will be caused by the camera waiting for focus before fireing, that can be changed by setting the cameras focus mode to continuous. but in that mode it will also allow you to make badly focused pictures.

my sugestion for all camera users is in anticipation of a upcoming picture is to get the camera focused at the distance your likely to be taking that grab shot, the closer the camera is to the focus distance of the next shot should speed things up. if its focus is at infinity and you try to grab a shot 10 feet away or even closer its going to take some time to get there.

the pro1 is a good camera, its probubly not the great camera it should or could of been. but it can take some amazing pictures.. right up there with the best available at this time.

tip: at 28mm zoom and F8 or smaller the depth of field should cover almost anything, and at 8mp theres plenty of extra pixles for cropping later.
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 2:22 AM   #27

Hi Drew!

It sounds like you and 'Zacker' (see above) are doing just fine with yourPro 1s. Unfortunately it hashad a lot of bad press lately, but like manycameras, if it is used within it's limits, it can work just fine and take someAMAZING photographs!

As for myself, I should probably'sign off' from this thread. I'm not a Pro 1 owner, and my short-list no longer includes thePro 1.That's not necessarily implyinganything negative about the Pro 1, as all the '8mp prosumer cameras' havetheir shortcomings.

From 'Zackers' last post, he should be back from the Florida Evergladessometime next week, with lots of photographs to share. You and Zackershould continue this thread and compare notes on your Pro 1s.

Keep on having fun with your Pro 1!

:|Dean
Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:54 PM   #28

Hey guys, Yes, Im back... i finally made it home...lol I got tons of pics.. i just gotta go through them and trash the bads and post some of the goods. tons of Gator pics and lots of birds!! The Pro1 seemed to work quite well and i guess once i download the shots i will see if im correct! Im tired and am going to bed.

C-ya!

-zacker-
Old Jan 16, 2005, 3:41 AM   #29

If shutter lag for a digital camera is defined to be pressing the button all the way down (starting from the button not yet pressed), and if this lag includes the time for FOCUSING and other computations, THEN it is only fair to define shutter lag for a MANUAL camera to include the time required for manual focusing.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:53 PM   #30

i think to me at least, shutter lag is the time it takes from focus to shoot. but, it sounds more like the time it takes to actually take the pic.... from pressing the shutter release button to the time the pic is actually taken... maybe it should be called " Shutter realease lag" to define the time it takes to press the release button till the shuttter actually opens....

-zacker-