Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:57 AM   #31

ok.... how fast are other cams out there... digi or film.. to see a bird flying, the cam is on A/F you point... and shoot... Without waiting??? doesnt it take some time for the camera to focus on the bird?? I really still havent found the shutter lag on the pro1 all that terrible. its like ..maybe 1 second to focus... or 1-1/2... seems pretty fast to me.I cant imagine other cams being much faster...are they??

thanks!

-zacker-
zacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 7:46 AM   #32

zacker wrote:
Quote:
i think to me at least, shutter lag is the time it takes from focus to shoot. but, it sounds more like the time it takes to actually take the pic.... from pressing the shutter release button to the time the pic is actually taken... maybe it should be called " Shutter realease lag" to define the time it takes to press the release button till the shuttter actually opens....

-zacker-
I agree completely. I agree that it should be measured from the instant AFTER the focusing and all computations have been completed up to the time that the shutter activates.

Because if folks defined 'shutter lag' to be the time that the camera takes to do all the focusing and exposure stuff (except that the focusing occurs between button press and the shutter activation), then then this same definition should apply to manual cameras as well...such as the time for somebody to use the focusing ring to do the focusing (except the focusing here is done before the button press...however, if you choose not to ignore the auto-focusing and exposure computations in digital cameras...then you must include the focusing time for manual cameras ..otherwise it's an unfair comparison).
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:48 AM   #33

OK. LETS JUST SAY I LOVE BEATING DEAD HORSES... BUT, I WAS USING THE OLD REBEL XS FILM CAM YESTERDAY AND GUESS WHAT?? ITS FOCUS TIME IS VERY CLOSE TO THAT OF THE PRO1!!! MAYBE A BIT FASTER, NOT TOO MUCH THOUGH. oH, IM STILL WORKING ON GETTING UP A PAGE OF MY fLORIDA PICS FROM LAST WEEK!

-ZACKER-
Old Jan 22, 2005, 3:04 PM   #34

I think it would be important to hear from people who have used the Pro 1 before the firmware update came out and after. I too am considering buying a Pro 1 since I sold my G5. The G6 looks so good, but it lacks wide angle capability and zoom. The new Nikon 8800 is also on my list, but on every reviewsite I've ever been to, the Canon's with their DiGic processor seems to take sharper and more vivid color pictures. Some will say the color is "enhanced" with the Nikon taking more natural colors, and it probably does, but I love the color a Canon can get.

Does anyone know if the sharpening and saturation processing built into the Nikon's can make them look like a Canon?

Anyway, please, if anyone out there has experienced the Pro 1 pre and post firmware upgrade 1.0.1.0, let us know what you think. If they can conquer the lag problem, that, along with the new reduced price, is going to sell a LOT of cameras!

Enjoy
Scrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 4:52 PM   #35

http://www.claremontfarm.com/orchid.jpg

an Orchid taken with the pro1 on a recent trip to the florida everglades.

http://www.claremontfarm.com/flipper%20playing.jpg this dolphin jumping behind our boat showes no sign of shutter lag but then again, i knew he was coming...

http://www.claremontfarm.com/osprey.jpg

this osprey was photographed on the pro1 on automatic zoomed all the way on superfine and on the largest pixel setting.

http://www.claremontfarm.com/osprey%20fishing.jpg

this is actually a vulture..... in flight!

http://www.claremontfarm.com/gator%20hide%20(2).jpg

this Gator is pretty vivid and colorfull.

-zacker-
Old Jan 22, 2005, 6:29 PM   #36

I have been using the Pro1 since last April, a couple of thousand photos worth. Upgraded the firmware week, and safely say there was a marked improvement:

Normal condition autofocus faster
"Frozen" LCD whilst focusing has disapeared
Continuous focus MUCH better

Even in situations where the camera still doesn't seem to have focused, pressing the shutter results in the camera taking a picture, where before there was terrible lag waiting for the camera to be "happy" with taking the picture.
everton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 9:52 AM   #37

I HAVE A BIG DUST PROBLEM WITH THE POWERSHOT PRO 1, IT'S UNDER THE THE TOP LENS AND IS IN THE FORM OF KLEENEX STUFF WHICH MY KIDS STUFFED IN MY CAMER BAG. AMAZING AND ANNOYING

ALSO IT'S AUTO FOCUS ABILITY IN POOR LIGHT IS DISMAL.

IT'S ABILITY TO FOCUS ACCURATELY AND QUICKLY EVEN IN MODERATE CONDITIONS USIN FLASH UNDER INDOOR LIGHTING PARTY CONDITIONS RESULTS IN SLIGHTLY OUT OF FOCUS SHOTS.

VERY UNHAPPY WITH THE TOTAL PACKAGE

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE TORX TOOL SIZE NEEDED TO REMOVE THE TOP LENS? I KNOW IF I SEND IT BACK TO CANON I WILL BE WITHOUT IT FOR WEEKS, AND IT'S NEEDED TO CONTINUE IT'S WORK TILL I CAN AFORD TO REPLACE IT.
Chris Calderbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 10:05 PM   #38

Hey Chris,

The problems you report are common with this camera. However, a lot of people have been able to work around them and still take good photos. Take a look at some of Zacker's posts on this thread . . . he seems to be doing very well with his Pro1.

Have you updated the firmware on your camera yet? If not, that may help things a bit.

As for dismantling part of your camera, it's not recommended, unless you happen to be a camera tech.
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 7:57 AM   #39

Hi Dean,

An AEROSOL of AIR took care of most of the problem with lint/tissue stuff, those lenses are 'surrounded by fresh air' I agree about the standard of the photographs, I do commercial work with mine, photographing stationery products for catalogue and web. having the choice to shoot in RGB/RAW and edit as 16 bit, saves a lot f image degregation as itis reduceddown to a very small JPG.

I have upgraded the focusing software in the camera, guess it did something but I'm not sure what.

Chris Breezes software is the biggest feature which saves this camera for me his PSremote works wonders for shooting connected to a computer full time, and being able to focus on a multi color object, lock the focusing point and then just shoot and focus on straighton the item and shoot is great.

Regards Chris
Chris Calderbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 12:24 PM   #40

Chris Calderbank wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dean,

An AEROSOL of AIR took care of most of the problem with lint/tissue stuff, those lenses are 'surrounded by fresh air' I agree about the standard of the photographs, I do commercial work with mine, photographing stationery products for catalogue and web. having the choice to shoot in RGB/RAW and edit as 16 bit, saves a lot f image degregation as itis reduceddown to a very small JPG.

I have upgraded the focusing software in the camera, guess it did something but I'm not sure what.

Chris Breezes software is the biggest feature which saves this camera for me his PSremote works wonders for shooting connected to a computer full time, and being able to focus on a multi color object, lock the focusing point and then just shoot and focus on straighton the item and shoot is great.

Regards Chris
Hi Chris:

This is a known issue with the Pro 1, there's a gap somewhere on the lens (you can't see it) that allows dust to enter under some situations.You should contact the Canon servicepeople about having your cameracleaned and fixed. Ibelieve they have a way of sealing thelensso you won'tget dust on the CCD...Your camerais still under warranty,you should take advantage of it.

If you installed the firmware upgrade, you should see faster autofocus speeds anda shorter LCD "screen freeze" at focus lock. This improvement is seen only when the camera is on continuous focus, not when it's on single focus...

Dean...haven't you bought a camera yet :? I guess you may as well wait for the PMA showin a couple of weeksto see if there's anything new coming along...

regards....Santos
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote