Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:30 PM   #41

Santos wrote:
Quote:
"Dean...haven't you bought a camera yet :? . . . "
Hi Santos ... long time no talk!

Like you,I walked away from the K-M 200 idea a few weeks ago for a number of reasons, and then focused on the G6. I was even able to borrow a G6 from a friend for a weekend ... that's one REALLY nice camera! My big problem is that ~ 50% of my photography is 'sports/action', so I need a camera that has exposure info in the view finder, and also one that operates fairly fast. So, sadlyI had to passonthe G6 as well.

Ideally, I should havebeenlooking at the DSLRs, but with the lens that I'd need, that route would havecost me MEGABIG BUCKS.I justcouldn't gothere.

'Readers Digest' version; Two weeks ago I bought a Panasonic FZ20. It doesn't have all the neat bells-and-whistles that the 8mp prosumers have, but it operates fast enough that I can do my sports/action photography with it. Also,that F2.8/12x/IS lens is a dream come true for the price you pay for an FZ20. The camera has also been around for a while and has a fairly good reputation (quality, reliability, happy owners, etc.). As for itonly having a 5mp CCD, I'll just have to live with that ... I generallydon't make large prints, so it should be OK.

On Steve's Digicams, I've been spending most of my time now on the Pana forums page, but still venture onto the Canon and K-M forums pages every once in a while.

How's it going with your new G6?

Dean
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 12:04 AM   #42

DeanB wrote:
Quote:
Santos wrote:
Quote:
"Dean...haven't you bought a camera yet :? . . . "
Hi Santos ... long time no talk!

<snip>

'Readers Digest' version; Two weeks ago I bought a Panasonic FZ20.
<snip>

How's it going with your new G6?

Dean
Hi Dean:

I've takenabout 700 picturesin the month that I've had the camera and the results are fantastic. About the only weakness with thismodelis that the LCD isn't quite as bright as I'd like in full sunlight, but it's not too bad if you shade it from direct sun.

The software bundled with the G6 includes a panorama stitch mode, so I've been playing with that. The attached is a greatly reduced and compressedversion of a pano.. the originaljpegwas 4 MB in size

The FZ20 is a nice camera. Probably one of the few compact digital that has a manual focus that is actually useable. I wouldn't be too concerned about the 5 MP size, it's more than enough to get some great 11 x 14 prints, maybe bigger. I really wanted a tilt/swivel LCD after using my G2 for three years, so I didn't have that camera on my short list. That stabilized Leice lens must be something else.

regards...santos

Attached Images

Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 8:07 PM   #43

That is one VERY beautiful pana!! Well done Santos!

You've taken 700 photos with your new G6already . . . holy doodle!!!

I've got a LOT of work to do to catch up to you! My work lately has kept me away from my camera most days, but I hope to make up for that soon.

Yup, I wish the FZ20 had atilt/swivel LCD like the G6. . . one of the other things I'll just have to live with for now. Fortunately the lens on the FZ20 and it'sfast operation,helps to make up for some of it's shortcomings.

Keep on takin' those beautiful pictures!

:|Dean
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:25 PM   #44

I bought the Powershot Pro 1 about two weeks ago and am in love with it. I went right away and did the firmware update on it.

Whoever complained about it not taking actions shots well either doesn't have their firmware updated or don't know how to operate it properly.

I spent Saturday afternoon shooting a college baseball game and got some great shots using the high-speed shutter mode and it was my first-ever time shooting a sporting event.

MSUTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:38 PM   #45

cool... action shots rule.. can you post them so we can see em?

-zacker-
zacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 1:27 PM   #46

Hi All

Have had this camera for about 3 weeks now and as you have said many times in this thread, there is a problem with the lag. Now most of my shot are of highspeed sports action so I can manage to get the first car but the second one right behind him with lag has long gone beforeI can take the shot!! can anyone offer some advice on this?

Also you have spoke about the firmware update can you please tell me how and where I can get this:?

Many Thanks

P.S. Will post some pics soon
pigginell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 1:34 PM   #47

here ya go... ask and ye shall recieve...well, sometimes anyway..lol

-zacker-

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin....html#pro1firm
zacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 1:47 PM   #48

zacker wrote:
Quote:
here ya go... ask and ye shall recieve...well, sometimes anyway..lol

-zacker-

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin....html#pro1firm

Cheers for thay Zacker

Another question! Does anybody have problems with red eye from the Pro1 I get it alot with the reduction turned on or off?:O

Cheers

Have a look at this guys gallery I like it see what you think http://www.norcalphoto.com/photos.html
pigginell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 1:26 AM   #49

What really helps in action, like the races, is to lock the focus on the Pro 1. Set the focus manually, and the camera lag almost disappears. If you set both exposure and focus manually. Lag is non-existent.

TDM_Canon_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 2:29 AM   #50

Talking about norcalphoto.com:

Re: The 2/19/05 "Santa Cruz", 288Kb "beach-grass" post? With that HUGE, MANLY "Dodge-Compensator" pick-up? This from the Left Coast? Gimme 'a break!

Sheesh,

F2Guy

(Fed up, quite enuf of that here, thank you, somewhere in TX...).
F2Guy is offline   Reply With Quote