Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 2, 2004, 10:49 AM   #1

I recently bought this camera as it had most of the features I wanted.Ease of use,user friendly menus and not too bulky and wanted it to be portable enough to take on travels.

Unfortunately the auto focus is the pits. After a month I took it into the Canon service place and they replaced the Optical unit, the PCB assembly unit and the LCD hinge unit. This all after a month ownership.

It is a bit better but not too great. I have a Nikon 5700 which was dropped accidentally but was a much better camera for what I want it for.

I would like to know if anyone out there are having the same problem.

Thanks

Cindy
Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2004, 6:12 AM   #2

I've had a Pro1 for a week, and I'm taking it back. Problem for me is not only the slow/inacurate focus, but the way the screen freezes up when it's trying to get a lock. I've got/had a few cameras, and never seen anything like it. I don;t even know if a firmware update could fix the problem. I think the g6 uses a different focus system (9 point as opposed to 1, and with an external sensor - I think that's right, anyway). I've just got a G6 to test out, and it has no problems. No freeze, and it seems to lock much better and achieve focus in much more shots. Witht he Pro1 I was getting, in low light, and sometiems even with flash maybe 1 in 3 or 4 out of focus - abismal.
I'll miss the range of the Pro1, but I want a camera where I can be pretty sure what I won;t be struggling against the focus.
Luckily for me, I can take the Pro1 back still. No chance you can take yours back. I'd rate highly the G6.
philipsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 10:34 AM   #3

Hi Phil

Unfortunately I cannot return my Pro ! and so am struggling to sort out the focussing etc. I have a Nikon F 60 film camera with lenses which are supposed to be compatible with the Nikon D70 so am thinking of upgrading to a digital SLR.

The Pro 1 is small enough to take on travels but I am going to Antarctica and want equipment which will not disappoint as this ia a once in a lifetime trip.

A friend has bought the Canon digital rebel 3ooD I think and likes it but I dont have Canon lenses. The menu in the Canon cameras are really easy to navigate around, But photo quality is priorty number one

Good luck with the G6

Cindy
Old Oct 9, 2004, 8:10 AM   #4

I have owned the Pro1 for about 4 months. It was an upgrade from a Sony P71. No doubt its packed with features but I can list some problems that made me start looking for another digicam: 1) slow and inacurate autofocus (I frequentlychoose MFto be sure I won't loose the picture); 2) high noise from asa100 up what forces me to work with asa50 all the time (way too slow); 3) virtually impossible workunder low light and with moving subjects -i.e. fashion shows; 4) bad macro performance with focusing restrictions depending on focal lengh; and 5) the worst of all, though not discussed,lens shading !!!

If you ask me about the pros... well, pictures are nice but except for the extra Mpixels I preffer those of my former P71...
Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 5:01 PM   #5

Hi!:-)

I see that it's been a while since any posts have been made on this thread, but it's the only thread I could find on the Powershot Pro 1. I almost started a new thread, but finally found this one on page 7!:shock:

I'm not a Pro 1 owner, but I haveit on my 'tentative' list of cameras to consider. I have two questions to pose:

Q1: I've heard complaintsaboutproblems with dust getting inside thelens. Has anyone experienced this with their Pro 1?

Q2: Thereis an unconfirmed rumor going around that Canon has (or will be) discontinuing the Pro 1, due to numerous problems with this model. Is there anyway that this can be confirmed, or disproved?

Dean

DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:22 AM   #6

DeanB wrote:
Quote:
Hi!:-)

I see that it's been a while since any posts have been made on this thread, but it's the only thread I could find on the Powershot Pro 1. I almost started a new thread, but finally found this one on page 7! :shock:

I'm not a Pro 1 owner, but I have it on my 'tentative' list of cameras to consider. I have two questions to pose:

Q1: I've heard complaints about problems with dust getting inside the lens. Has anyone experienced this with their Pro 1?

Q2: There is an unconfirmed rumor going around that Canon has (or will be) discontinuing the Pro 1, due to numerous problems with this model. Is there anyway that this can be confirmed, or disproved?

Dean
I think you should wait until late this year (2005) and then get a camera. The Pro1 has many shortcomings which, although some have been fixed with the patches, probably doesn't help the Pro1 against its competition. It SEEMS (I have no experience) that competitor cameras like Olympus 8080 are much better. If you can wait, I would wait...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 3:38 PM   #7

hi, i just got my pro 1 and am very happy with it. the auto focus problems are no more due to a patch canon released and which my camera was already equiped with.. dust in the lens?? how?? there would have to be a hole in the camera for that to happen... wouldnt there? I mean, how does dust get inside the camera?? The noise above ISO 100 is kinda a drag but I really dont have a problem with working with 50 or 100 ISO so its not to great an issue with me... besides, canon will (hopefully) be releasing a update to fix the problem (i hope) lol

The camera takes sharp, sharp, SHARP pics and is (seems) very sturdy.. but dont drop it just to find out! i love the "super macro" mode... a very nice tuch.. the manual controlls could be a touch easier to get to instead of all the button mashing but once you learn it and have used it for a few shoots, it becomes second nature. Damn! Canon needs to start putting the lens cap on a tether to the camera body... ( i always loose it) the LCD screen is nice, it swivels around and is clear and sharp and the View Finder is also very sharp and clear. I love my Pro1 and I got a good $$$ from DELL on it so, I aint complaining at all!

-zacker-
zacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 6:09 PM   #8

Hello New Haven (Zacker)! Greetings from'The Great White North' :bye:

I am not a Pro 1 owner, and I'm not into trashing someone else's camera, so I won't say much here. The concerns/problems with the Pro 1 are well documented in reviews (this site & others), and on various forums (this site & others). If you own a Pro 1 and are happy with it, then that's

As fordust in the lens that people are complaining about in various forums, you'll have to check other sites, but I did find thisone post on this site; :arrow:http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=15 Suggest you keep your camera away from dusty conditions andstoreit in a camera case when you're not using it.

As for the rumor I heard about Canon discontinuing the Pro 1, it may just be a bunch of 'Bunk' (Canadian for; BS). It would be neat to hear from someone in-the-know (forums Moderator?) about this.

Anywayz, keep on havin' fun with your Pro 1! I still haven't bought a digicam yet ... my search continues! aranoid:

Dean
Old Jan 2, 2005, 7:23 PM   #9

Hi Zacker

I was vary interested to see that you have found a patch from Canon re a patch to help with the Auto focus problem. I am still struggling with mine although I have bought a D 70 and LOVE it.But I am stuck with the Pro 1 and wlike to at least

be able to use it sometimes. How do you set about getting the patch

Thanks

Cindy
Old Jan 2, 2005, 7:23 PM   #10

Hi Sivaram! How's the weather in the 'BIG' T.O.?!

We are curious about your suggestion that I wait until "late thisyear"to buy a camera. Why do you advise that I wait so long (almost a year) to make my purchase? :!:

You've gotuspuzzled!:?:whack:

What do you know :idea:that we don't know ... please fill us in!! :-)

Thx,

Dean