Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 10, 2002, 6:14 AM   #1

Default Advice on wide angle zoom for my new D60

I just tried out my new D60 on vacation and realized quickly that my old 35-80 zoom lens would not do at all for a wideangle shot. (Oh, that's what they meant by the 1.6 ratio!)
I would love some advice on which zooms lens to buy - that will give me the wide angle that I was used to when I used my lens on my old film based SLR. - just for general use - mostly travel shots. I now have 2 lenses - the 35-80 and an 80-200. What lenses would be a good addition? Thanks.
scapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2002, 8:24 AM   #2

You can try the budget price 24-85mm, great lens for the best price. Other options for higher price lens are: 17-35mm L lens, 28-80mm L lens.

One of the very affordable lens is the 28-135mm IS, you can shoot handheld with this lens in some very low shutter speed using the optical image stablizer option...cheers...
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2002, 8:24 AM   #3

You can try the budget price 24-85mm, great lens for the best price. Other options for higher price lens are: 17-35mm L lens, 28-70mm L lens.

One of the very affordable lens is the 28-135mm IS, you can shoot handheld with this lens in some very low shutter speed using the optical image stablizer option...cheers...
Old Oct 10, 2002, 8:33 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. My big concern about the 28-135 lens with the image stabilizer is that it is very heavy (it says it weighs almost 19 oz. on the Canon chart.) The camera body itself is so heavy that I am concerned about carrying around an extra pound plus. What do you think?
Old Oct 11, 2002, 2:45 PM   #5

I carried the camera and the 28-135mm with me for one week in Las Vegas, and I don't think the extra weight bother me at all, the IS really help in some difficult lighting situation, just make sur eyou get a good camera strap to carry it from your shoulder cross your hip, the one that came with camera is a joke, I used the Tamrac with leather pad, very comfortable...
Old Oct 11, 2002, 6:28 PM   #6

I agree - the right camera strap makes all the difference - I carried my new D60 for days on my recent trip to France (that was the first time I used the new camera and realized that my old 35-80 lens couldn't catch all those wide angle shots - what a time to learn that!) I think I will go to a camera store and heft the lens and see how it feels. Can't think of a way around that. Thanks for your feedback and advice. Much appreciated.
Old Oct 23, 2002, 8:03 PM   #7

I've got the 28-135 and a D60 (as of yesterday), and you're right, it's VERY heavy especially with the extended grip and an extra battery. That being said, the balance is better than the same lens on my Elan 7e, so it's actually easier, or more comfortable, to hold.

Another choice on wide lenses might be the Sigma 15-30, which basically turns into a 24-48. The owner of the shop I bought the camera highly recommended this one. I had been thinking 16-35 ($$$$), and am now considering the Sigma instead.

Just my $0.02

Tom
tshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 8:44 PM   #8

I finally decided to buy the Canon 24-85 - -and am very happy with it - it is good to have a wide angle option again - and the weight is managable. I recommend it.
Old Oct 25, 2002, 10:23 AM   #9

Sigma 15-30mm is a very good lens (heavy, 82mm), just remember you can not attach a filter on front of this lens because the way the front lens design and the next one in-ine is the 20-40mm, but filter size is 82mm, filter at this size is very expensive. Both lenses will block the buit-in flash with or without supplied lenshood. Buy Canon lens if you can, if you already get along and adict to Canon fast autofcus and ultrasonic motor, I'm not sure you'll happy with the ohter off brand independent lenses.
Old Oct 25, 2002, 11:02 AM   #10

scapa- in reference to having a wide angle again your still highly limited at an equivelent 38.4mm to a full frame. that not much of a wide angle.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote