Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 3, 2004, 8:01 PM   #1

Hi: I am new to digital cameras and am about tobuy my first. I've narrowed it down to the A85 or the Kodak DX7440. I like the faster shooting speed of the Kodak, but am intrigued by the Manual Focus function of the A85.Can anyone tell me how well it works for them?Thanks!
AmyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2004, 8:55 PM   #2

Since no one's replied to my earlier post, i wonder if that means that no one uses the manual focus on a point and shootcamera like this? Now i;m even more curious!

Amy
Old Oct 11, 2004, 12:22 PM   #3

I would recommend going to dcresource.com and go look up the camera review done there. Or read the reviews done here by Steve, accesable on the main page.

Doing this, will give you the answers you seek. All the review sites, dcresouce.com , dpreview.com , steves-digicams.com all offer in depth reviews of BOTH cameras, and even include many many sample photos.

I recommend reading EVERYTHING, and then decide what you'd use more. Things to keep in mind: Battery type (AA size(NiMH-Rechargable, sold seperately, but worth their weight in gold), proprietary/li-ion - Exprensive, hard to find if you're away from civilization)

Size and weight, optical zoom vs. digital (go highest optical you can afford, you'll thank me later), manual options, shooting speeds, print quality, etc.

All the reviews cover all these points. =o)

Personally, the Canon line of camera's are great and have a very robust manuel setting mode. Their optics and zoom is above average and they produce highly saturated, sharp photos.

I almost bought one... I ended up getting a FujiFilm s602z 3/6MP 6X optical camera. It's got an awesome movie mode, with sound... 640x480 at 30 frames per second! =o) I've got a baby on the way, and I can't wait to take "home" movies.

Hope I've helped. I'm a novice, since this will be my first digital camera too, but I sell them at Best Buy, and read ALL the review sites. =o)

Good Luck,

tlmiller10 (Tim)
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 12:47 PM   #4

Thanks, Tim. have fun with your new camera!
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:16 PM   #5

Did I help any? I hope I didn't confuse ya anymore than you might of been...

Let me know what dicision you make, or you could tell me what you're looking for in a camera, and I can chime in on it if you'd like. Since I sell em...

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 2:22 PM   #6

one thing i would never do, Amy (no offense to miller) is buy ANYTHING from Best Buy. Should anything go wrong with the camera, you'll never be able to return it. They'll give you some ridiculous 30days or some such nonsense limit and even within those 30days they'll blame you for everything and require receits up the wazoo and insist on giving you store credit etc etc. And they're more expensive.

Go to costco, sams club, BJ's, walmart -- way better return guarantees. A camera is a fragile thing and lots can go wrong with it. BEFORE you bought it!
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 4:25 PM   #7

Thanks, Tim. I probably shouldn't say this in the Canon forum, butI thinkI might go with the Kodak. While I would love the manual focus of the Canon, and the image quality seems great,I really like the fact that with the Kodak you can snap a photo at any time using the optical viewfinder, and the faster shutter lag (and I have read some very good -- although mixed -- things about the image quality). I happen to have a gift card at Best Buy, so while it may not be ideal, whatever I buy I'll be buyingthere.

Thanks everyone!

Amy