Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 5, 2004, 12:50 PM   #1

I just got a new Canon S1 IS. One problem is that i cannot make it work on Windows 2003. I installed all the software, but when i plug it in, the Safely Remove Hardware icon appears in the system tray, and a few seconds later, it dissapears. ZoomBrowser EX tells me there's no camera connected, and the led on the camera is green instead of yellow. However, on a friend's computer, running Windows XP, everything is fine.

But i digress. My actual problem is that the camera is seen by Windows as a Scanners and Cameras device. This means I can only Copy & Delete pictures from the camera, no Cut, no upload. This is very intriguing, since the flash update utility managed to upload the new flash to the memory card.

Does anyone have an idea of how to make it work as a mass storage device (that is, removable drive in Windows) or at least to enable uploads?

Thanks,
nil4
nil4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2004, 12:53 PM   #2

Nevermind about the first problem, i found the answer in the forums. I needed to enable the Windows Image Aquisition service. Doh!

Still, can someone help with the second question?
Old Oct 7, 2004, 10:46 PM   #3

When you ask if you can use the S1 IS as a mass storage device, am I right in thinking that you have in mind storing, on the camera card, files not produced by the camera?

My guess is that you can - but that it would be very unwise to try it, lest your computer changes the card's format and makes it unusable as a camera card.

This was certainly a problem with Smart Media cards used in the Olympus C2100UZ. So much so that I understood that I should never allow my computer to have any chance to write anything to the card. This meant that I should not even use the computer's 'move' command to shift picture files from the camera card to the computer hard drive. The only safe way to do it was to use the 'copy' command.

Whether this applies to CF cards too I don't know but I'd rather not take the risk of making the card unusable for the purpose of recording pictures taken by the camera.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 5:32 AM   #4

Quote:
When you ask if you can use the S1 IS as a mass storage device, am I right in thinking that you have in mind storing, on the camera card, files not produced by the camera?
Partially, yes. Mass storage device means that Windows sees the camera as a removable drive, and you can manipulate the files on the memory card with any program, not just the Scanners & Camera wizard.

The thing is, I had a Sony P71 before the Canon S1 IS, and the Sony was usable as a removable drive. For example, i could create other folders (besides the SONYXYZ folder, where the camera stores pictures) and store files there.

It's a real pitty that the Canon won't let me do the same. Especially since i plan to use a 4GB card with it.. :sad: