Attached Images

Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 3:59 PM   #12

nice shots..

Yea, here's what I don't like about S1:

1. No AF assist light
2. Small LCD
3. Too few megapixels
4. No preset scenes (freworks, beach, indoor, etc.) They have it on A85-95..
5. No macro mode.

That's it.
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 4:14 PM   #13

Brandon, thanks for the samples..they are very usefull as I'll try to 'manipulate' them in PS for a little unsharp mask and some custom filters.

Conntie, I can live with the five lacks of S1 that you've mentioned, but I guess I'm more afraid about the softness of the lens. I might go for the FZ3 for that matter. I hope I'm not making a mistake.
codz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:17 PM   #14

well, don't you think the flower petals, the edges especially are way too soft?
Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:19 PM   #15

also, check out this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...12&forum_id=23

about images taken with FZ10. Keep in mind, 15 should be even better, since 10 has some issues...

Who can tell me that S1 can take better images than those?? C'mon...
Old Oct 19, 2004, 7:02 PM   #16

Hi Coontie,I agree that for pure image quality the S1 is not the best out there but as you will see on most of my posts on this camera I stress that for its price and all round features its still a reasonable buy.My local retailers are still seelling the various panasonic models at a premium to the S1.The S1 images do require a little work to bring up to a reasonable standard and the faults with image you pointed out are as likely to be my inexperience with sharpening etc in image browsers and that the flowers in question were photographed in a light breeze and were moving.

If I was buying again now the panasonics would get a much harder look (only FZ1 available when I bought S1 and over $100 AUD dearer)

The only Ultra zoom out there that might keep a true photo nut happy might be the Nikon 8800 but thats nearly $1000 USD list price.

Brendon
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 9:36 PM   #17

well, I understand what you're saying but it's still disappointing. RIGHT NOW, there's very little reason to get an S1. It may be cheaper than an FZ3 but not by much. An FZ15 is around 400 and S1s are hovering around 350. True, none of these new FZ models were around then but then is not now and now S1 is seriously lagging behind the competition. You shouldn't have to dick around with photoshop to bring out the best quality. I had an S30 before and the images were way better.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 2:06 PM   #18

The images that come out of the S1 are almost unprocessed by the camera (except jpg compression); you can make adjustments of saturation, sharpness and contrast; also there is a VIVID setting; I prefer to do my own post-processing; you can arrange to do as much or as little processing done by the camera as you wish; I feel this is an advantage rather than a fault since you get almost all the image data from the camera; once in-camera processing occurs, image info is lost irretreivably. So decide for yourself which you would prefer
samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 5:57 PM   #19

I own a copy of photoshop CS, can you tell me what kind of post processing you do most often? Where have you learned those tricks, is there a url??

THX!
Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:49 AM   #20

Post processing is a very personal matter; in Photoshop you can start by "auto levels"; you can then adjust brightness, contrast and saturation to your liking

Sharpening is another area you can look at; again you must not overdo it; there is a nice small article on using the "Unsharp mask" filter for sharpening at lonestardigital.com.

Zoombrowser the software which comes with Canon cameras also offers you an option called "enhance"; you get about 9 different versions of your picture; you can chose the one you like the best.

Any number of Photoshop tutorials are available on line; just do a google search with "Photoshop tutorials"

Good luck
samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote