Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 10, 2004, 11:29 PM   #1

Hello CANON gang!

Never thought I would be asking for your help – I usually like to get all answers by myself, but after playing with my S1 for a month I'm about to give up and E-Bay it.

My S1 was an upgrade from Fuji 2600 and I expected a lot. Movies that I took outside were gorgeous, still shot outside on sunny days are perfect as well – beautiful colors and sharpness, BUT … Once the camera is inside everything is gone …

I understand that some noise is unavoidable with certain lighting conditions and ready to accept it , but it simply wouldn't focus. Mostly I'm using it to take pictures of my kids and out of 50 shots one (!!!) is sharp. I have tried different settings, "P", "M" and "AUTO" modes, with and without flash…Even brought tripod from the basement…

I found black dot on the battery cover and checked in ZoomBrowser – I have an upgraded firmware. The only thing I've noticed that I can get it to focus somehow if I'm not using zoom. Once the zoom is at least x3-forget it –my old Fuji took better pictures (still have to use it).

Is there anything I'm missing? Is there any known technique that I can use to take clear picture of my active kids inside the house?

Please, HELP!

Thanks in advance.
goshik1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2004, 1:29 PM   #2

Ahh, I believe you've found out one of the cons of the S1, and a lot (if not most) digital cameras.

Poor Results in low light conditions (Most homes do not have enough light, (like outside, in the sun)

Also there is a lack or non-existence of manuel focus controls (which is why I did not buy it)

That's the best I can come up with... good luck.

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:23 AM   #3

Don't listen to b..sh....

You can take sharp pictures with S1 (and all the cameras) in low light condistions.

Just think You have an old camera. Use Manual Focus!!!

Many people are talking about hyperfocus. Set to A. Set to 4.5, push MF button and set the distance little lower an the subject. I.e 2 m (or 6 feet) if the subject is about 3 m (10 feet) from the camera. Flash ON and Shut!!!!!!!

Let me know. I (and many others too) can take pictures in quite total darkness!

Good luck!
Adwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 2:44 PM   #4

What is the guy blathering, "no manual focus?" OF COURSE it has manual focus. S1 has full manual controls for every single thing. I too got mine 2 weeks ago and I'm also having problems focusing in low light conditions. That's the problem with this camera -- no assist light to help AF.

The solution is as suggested. Use manual focus. There's a button on the left side of the lens. Click it/hold it and slowly slide the 4point cursor thingie downwards until the magnified image becomes focused. THEN shoot the picture. Voila.
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 6:20 PM   #5

Hi ,I also noticed that focus is improved in low light if you keep towards wide end of of zoom and use your inbuilt manual zoom to compose (walk closer).

It would be great if they could find a way to mimic DSLR focusing which uses a seperate sensor looking at the mirror rather than a system which uses the image from the imaging chip .SLR autofocus evan my nearly 15 year old Eos 630 leaves this stlye of camera for dead.

One would hope the next S_ IS would at least have a hot shoe and be able to use the focus assist of a canon flash gun

Otherwise still happy with my purchase 5000 frames later but looking forward to joing the DSLR ranks one day.

Brendon
Ps some people are using very small white LED light sources attached to side or top of camera,I think they are purchased from camping stores or Radio Shack stlye outlets and are usually a keychain attachment.I have not tried this my self but have seen several posts by people who have had success with this.
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:58 PM   #6

I apologize for the second half of my post. I just checked back in on it and saw what transpired.

I cannot believe I typed that... fortunately, that last half was about a different camera (on a computer discussion board non-the-less) not about the S1. I love the S1... and it DOES have manuel focus. Exactly how everyone said. I sell em, know em inside and out, and even almost bought one. Sorry about the confusion, and again... almost all Canon's rock.

-tlmiller10 (eagerly awaiting my near dslr, Fuji s602z)
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:10 PM   #7

Adwulf, coontie and Brendon!

Thank you , guys very much. I just got home from work and took about 7 pictures--3 are already as sharp as I want them to be -what an improvement!!!. I still have to figure out some details , but this is a perfect start.

I'll try to share the results ones perfected

Thanks again
goshik1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:56 PM   #8

I'm sorry... I hope that message got through. =o\ *blush*

-tlmiller10
Old Oct 13, 2004, 4:12 PM   #9

Also, have you tried the custom sharpness setting? You can jack it up a few notches in P mode.. I'll get home to see if that makes a difference but you can try it...
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote