Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 11, 2004, 5:01 AM   #1

I was switching from vivid mode to Tv mode the other day and suddenly lost all power. Thelens was extended at the time and did not retract when this happened. I tried using the plugging it in to an AC adapter and still nothing - lens still extended and no power, not even the charging indicator light. Any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks, Jeff
jeffb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2004, 5:27 PM   #2

Jeff,

I just picked up my G1 from the camera shop after being returned from Canon. My camera locked up and would not power up. The lens was left extended. Canon advised it would be about $180.00 to repair.:evil:Since this about whatan operational G1is worth according to auctions on eBay, I decided to NOT have it repaired and sell it on eBay for salvage along with all of it's accessories. Canon did not indicate WHAT the problem was, just the cost of repair. Needless to say I'm dissapointed that my $650.00, 2 year old camera is scrap ( my 30 year old Minolta works great and is still worth at least $120.00). Pretty embarrasing for Canon! But I guess that in this disposable society that's what we're saddled with. Sorry for the rant and good luck getting an answer.

John
prop guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 12:43 AM   #3

After searching the web for G1 problems, I found what may be an answer. The G1's and G2's have a known problem with blown fuses. I don't know if G3 and later models suffer from this problem. Canon is aware of the problem but won't stand behind or recall the product for repairs. The fuses blow without warning for no apparent reason. The camera simply stops working. I was able to locate a website where the owner repairs his camera and lists detailed steps and photosfor the repair. It took him about 4 hours to do the surgery. The cost of the part: $0.56 ! The website is http://hunterftp.hunter.com/~dav/index.htm. I think I will attempt a repair soon and will post the results.

John
prop guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 6:58 PM   #4

jeffb wrote:
Quote:
I was switching from vivid mode to Tv mode the other day and suddenly lost all power. Thelens was extended at the time and did not retract when this happened. I tried using the plugging it in to an AC adapter and still nothing - lens still extended and no power, not even the charging indicator light. Any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks, Jeff
ekcarlson21 is offline   Reply With Quote