Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:48 AM   #1

Hi all,

This is my first post to this forum. I have "stolen" so much info from this board and must congratulate you all on sharing such a wealth of knowledge. I hope in time I can add something useful, which can absolve me of my debt.

But....in the meantime, can anybody tell me if thefilter tube for the Canon G3/G5 will fit with the G6. The G3/G5 takes the tube LA-DC58B and according to the two reviews I have read (Steve & DPreview), this is the same part as mentioned in the reviews for the G6. But........according to the brochure from Canon which I downloaded:

http://www.brochures.canon-europe.com/pdfs/PowerShot_G6-p7931-c3839-UK-1096980232.pdf (2211KB)

it mentions part number LA-DC58D. If anyone has experience of this, I would appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks all.........Paul
pauloffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2004, 8:15 AM   #2

Hi Paul,Just to confuse the matter have you heard of Lensmate adapters for the filters and lenses?I have an S1 and recently bought the lensmate adapter for it and it is a far better quality item than the genuine canonitem as its made from anodised aluminum(the Canon one is plastic)and matches the silvercolour perfectly and fits great.I bought it from thehttp://www.lensmateonline.com site and had it shipped to Australia with a rubber lens hood for less than I could get the canon itemhere.

I have just checked their site using above link and the G6 adapter will be available late this month(in news link) and will be a lot cheaper than the canon item.

Highly recomended

Brendon

Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 9:23 AM   #3

Hi Brendon

Thanks for the reply and thelink. It does seem to say that the G5 tube does not fit the G6. All the reviews of the G6 I have read quote the same part number as the G5!? Curiosity got the better of me and I have purchased a Canon G5 tube on eBay for a bargain amount of just £5.60 delivered. So when it arrives along with the G6 (still waiting) I will test it for sure and report back for those that are interested.

If it is different you have to ask why? Unless there is some major problem with the old design, why change a good thing and prevent people from using their existing accessories. I believeafter all that it isthe same lens. Progress or profit? ..........boy that feels better!!!

I do remember reading somewhere that Canon did not recommend metal adaptors, hence why theirs is plastic. Can you see any reason why they would say this? Are they just trying to protect their market?

Thanks again....

Paul.

pauloffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 7:05 PM   #4

Hi Paul,I dont know why canon would not recomend metal adapters.The only thing I noted was that thet bayonet mount on the S1 is of a plastic material and whilst some people say the adapter protects the lens, the mount definately is the weak point in the chain.There are other cameras that take canon lens adapters with almost the same part number as the S1 with the only addition an A on the end but no website listed these as being correct.

I supect that as you say Canon is trying to get max amount of money out of G series owners updating.

Brendon
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote