Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 13, 2004, 8:14 PM   #1

I need to know what other cameras from other manufactures compares to the G6 in quality, performance, features and price. If Im going to shell out 600$, might aswell pick the best of the group.

Chris
vapore0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:11 PM   #2

Hi Chris,

I have just ordered a G6 here in France, I was looking for a second camera and was blown away by the sample pictures I have found on the net (Steve's Pictures are worth downloading).

My other camera is a Sony DSC-F717. It is good for many reasons. Here is my "like" list:

Excellent picture resolution. Good lens.Good zoom range. Electronic viewfinder. Excellent battery life. Swivel body is great for waist and low shooting positions. Superb low light performance, hologram AF works in pitch black, and night framing users IR emitters to display picture even in total darkness. Good flash performance indoors. Superb build quality. It has a really solid feel. There is always a "feel good" factor each time it comes out the case, probably the most important thing of all!!

There are all the functions that should be expected from a prosumer camera, and there is lot's of information, reviews and owners opinions to be found on the net. Go take a look. Best of all I think that you can buy it at a good price in the USA, even thoughit isnow discontinued.

Having said that I am looking forward to playing with the G6, but it will never replace my F717, just work alongside, and hopefully add another perspective.

If you have specific questions I will be pleased to try and answer them.

If you go with the G6 I am sure you will be very pleased. I must have downloaded every sample picture on the net for all the different cameras in this range and for me the G6 stood out from the crowd. This is just as well because up until then I was very confused.

Good luck with your choice.

Paul.
pauloffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:14 PM   #3

I would say the G6 kinda stands alone right now... but not for long. The Sony V3 will be out anytime now (the press release says end of October). The G6 and the V3both share the same 7MP CCD manufactured by Sony. They are both about the same physical size. Other than that there are quite a few differences. I would check out Steve's preview for the V3.

I've been reading reviews from professionals and everyday users for digicams in the 5 - 8 MP range fora couple months. I've narrowed it down to these two. I'm waiting for Steve's final review on the V3 before I buy.

stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 12:21 PM   #4

wow, the V3 looks really nice. Too bad I didnt look at it, and I bought the G6. I really liked the nightshot capability of the V3. Hope the G6 doesnt have much problem with the AF assist lamp. Im upgrading form a Kodak DX4330 so I know Ill be very happy.
vapore0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 1:28 PM   #5

This would be some interesing reading for anyone interested in a G6:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=009l5n
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 9:28 PM   #6

That's one of the reasons I'm leaning toward the Sony V3. The Sony has laser assist auto-focus and works great even in no light. I know because my Sony PC-330 camcorder has this feature. Also, there is a pretty good flash available (HVL-F32X Auto Programmable TTL flash) for about $150 that is fully compatible including the IR assist lamp.
stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 7:25 PM   #7

Sony is BLACK! But, lacks the swivel or flip out viewfinder.

Canon has the swivel viewfinder, but it is Silver . . . . .

Oh well . . . . guess I will not buy a compcat digital (for now) to go along with my 300D - just buy more lenses for the EOS system.

If I had the $$$$$ to spend right now, what I really want is a 30" Sony Wega Hi Def TV Monitor! Those are baddd boys!
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote