Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 17, 2004, 11:54 PM   #1

I just purchased this unit after doing a fair amount of research and I am very surprised at what appears to be a totally inadequate battery monitoring capability.

From what I have gleaned from the manual (page 22), I will see a blinking cursor when the battery needs to be replaced. Now, that's not a whole lot of warning is it? Am I supposed to leave the house hoping and praying that the icon doesn't come on....or, are owners of this camera obligated to leave the house every day with a freshly charged battery?

There is also a reference in the manual (page 22 & page 134) to a message that appears on the LCD screen that reads "Change the Battery Pack". When you see this message you are instructed to change the battery pack immediately.

Does anyone know the remaining time/energy difference between these indicators. Is one a "5 Minute Warning" and the other a "You Might as Well Put the Camera Away" warning? How much time in the real-world does each warning actual provide?

Am I being unreasonable in thinking that this is an unacceptable deal-killer? I kind of remember reading something about this during my research but I didn't completely comprehend that there is absolutely no display of remaining battery charge or remaining runtime with this unit.

I'm used to a Sony that provided me with constant feedback of the remaining minutes of battery time. Maybe that was extreme - but this seems like the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Are owners of this camera supposed to guess how much time they have left? Was it that hard to design even a rudimentary battery indicator into this product?

Would someone please tell me if I'm over-reacting - or if I have a valid gripe that will frustrate and anger me for the entire duration that I use this camera?

Thanks for listening to my rant and thanks for your feedback.
blafarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2005, 4:17 AM   #2

Hi

I have a G6 which has the exact same problem......I think it´s a canon thing :-)
petermyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:14 AM   #3

I don't think you are overreacting. Rather, I think you are right to howl bloody murder when manufacturers don't take pains to make their cameras as user friendly as possible. I agree, the outstanding battery indicators on Sony cameras (like my wifes P100) shows that it can be done and that Canon has no excuse for not keeping up with the rest of the industry.

I have a Canon G6 and have already complained loudly to them about the deficiency you've pointed out. No response to date from Canon. If you decide to complain to them, let me know if you have any luck.

Steve C
SteveCz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:49 AM   #4
Administrator

If you're going to complain to Canon, then you might as well complain to Nikon, Konica-Minolta, Olympus, Casio, Pentax, Kodak.....

Sony's Infolithium battery system is typically more expensive. Why? Their batteries contain a microprocessor that tells the camera how much battery time is left at the present rate of power consumption.

Other battery systems don't have this feature. So, it's difficult to ascertain how much battery life remains with non-Sony models, because NiMH and Lithium Ion batteries tend to have very good voltage until right before they are full discharged.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:33 AM   #5

That's not unusual I think. Even my canon G6 and nikon 950 are like that. I don't think it's that easy to accurately monitor how much juice is left in the battery. And maybe they just tell by checking the voltage on the terminals, or something like that.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 2:49 AM   #6

And while your at it, you may as well complain about being able to fit the battery in the wrong way.

It may sound impossible but it did happen to me. I was looking forward to a trip to the Great Barrier Reef off the cost of Topical North Queenland (Australia) and I put the battery in the wrong way.I don't remember any force involved (exictement yes at a trip of a lifetime).

That evening my wife and I armed with a tweezer and nail file managed to get it out (thats all we had in a hotel room)

Don't ask me how we did it but we did. I had tried and tried before we set off and thought that it would be a repair servce job, but we did it.

alisam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 5:27 PM   #7

its typical for my pro1 to show a full charge till its almost done then the battery indicator starts to show discharge when its almost at the point of non function. While its a pain, its pretty typical. ive had a couple sony camcorders and i like the info-lithium meter... that being said , i wont take any of my camera`s anywhere no matter what metering system it has without a spare battery. i purchase the pro1 and 2 spare batteries, that might be overkill but id have at least 1 extra battery fully charged at all times.
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 2:20 AM   #8

alisam wrote:
Quote:
And while your at it, you may as well complain about being able to fit the battery in the wrong way.
*snip*
That evening my wife and I armed with a tweezer and nail file managed to get it out (thats all we had in a hotel room)
*snip*
Glad you finally managed to get the battery out. It's unusual to hear that the battery was difficult to pull out again after inserted the wrong way. My canon G6 prevents the battery from being inserted the wrong way. If you try the wrong way, then the battery can only go in half of the way.

My home is Townsville (north queensland by the way). Born and raised in Townsville.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote