Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 18, 2004, 12:35 PM   #1

I just recently purchased a Canon PowerShot S70 and I noticed two pixels that are stuck; one is stuck on white (1417x972) the other is stuck at red (1968x682).

I noticed the one that is stuck on white while zooming in on a photo on my computer using Photoshop Elements 2. After I found that stuck pixel, I took a manual picture in a dark room (1/125, F5.6, No Flash) and confirmed the stuck white pixel and found a stuck red pixel.

Could this be a problem with the optics or the CCD? Is it considered normal to have one or two pixels stuck on a 7.1 Megapixel camera?

Thank you for any help/advice.

Thank you again,
PeteS
PeteS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2004, 6:35 PM   #2

No this is not normal.Those mustbe dead pixelson the CCD. I would return it to the store I bought it from or take it to Canon service center.

Good luck
noujwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 7:23 PM   #3

Thank you for your advice, I will try to see if Besy Buy will exchange the camera. :-? I hope I can find one that does not have the same problem.

Thank you again,
Pete
Old Oct 20, 2004, 1:21 PM   #4

I D/Led DeadPixelTest (http://www.starzen.com/imaging/deadpixeltest.htm) and it confirmed the stuck pixels. I then returned the camera to Best Buy and got a replacement without a problem. I have tested the new camera with DeadPixelTest and it does not appear to have any stuck pixels (1/125, 1/60, 1/4 and 1 second exposures). :-)

Along the way I stumbled onto an article about stuck/hot pixels that I found very informative:

http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers...ot_pixels.html

Thank you again,
PeteS