Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 23, 2004, 5:28 PM   #1

:?I'm totally new to this area of the electronic world, so if my questions sound a bit on the absurd, that would explain things, I hope.

I am due to leave on a vacation of sorts and I got a very inexpensive, used camera. Due also being somewhat of a beginner on the computer I am having a little problem getting started. I have the canon PowerShot A10, it's in working condition, but came with no software. Do I/can I, download what I need at the canon site/if yes what do I use? I use win xp home ed on my computer. I have a very cheap camera that uses what's called ArcSoft 3.0, can this be used with the canon? Any help is very very greatly appreciated.

Enjoy the weekend-

Fleet :sad:
Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2004, 10:26 PM   #2

Well, I'm a newbie too so I don't know if one newbie should be giving advice to another :?: But anyway...

I don't know anything about the A10 but it shouldn't be different from other cameras. Looking at its specs, I see that it is a 1 megapixel (MP) camera. You won't get high enough quality pics to physically print but they are good enough to post on the web, send via e-mail or do stuff like that. For 4x6 prints, you really want around 2MP or 3MP. I'm just saying this so that you don't get dissapointed with your vacation pics...

The bundled software is not really required to use the camera or interface with the computer. The software just makes it easier. You can probably ask Canon if they could send you the bundled software (they may be able to send some of it--not sure).

You can use any image editing software with the camera pictures. Arcsoft has a bunch of image editing stuff (some movie editing too, depending on the camera you purchase). It doesn't matter what Arcsoft software you are using (in fact, you can use your favourite image editor too, like Photoshop, JASC paintshop, etc). Cameras usually save their images in the JPEG format, and this can be used by nearly any image editing software.

Anyway, I also see that it has a USB port so the first thing you need is a USB cable that will connect your camera to the computer. Do you have a USB cable that goes from the camera to the computer? USB ports on the computer are rectangular (modern mouse/keyboard use USB). (Another alternative is to use a compact flash memory card reader that is hooked up to your computer. I am not sure if you bought this optional item).

Once you hook up the camera to the computer, via the USB cable, the computer should recognize your camera. Modern operating systems, like Windows XP will automatically recognize them (from what I understand), while older Windows and others may need some driver installation. Depending on how your computer is configured and how the A10 behaves, it should show up under Scanners and Cameras (in Start menu->Control Panel->Scanners and Cameras). From there, you should be able to copy files from your camera to the computer.

Once the operating system recognizes the camera, you can transfer files from it to your computer--just like how you would transfer files on your hard drive between folders. After the files are on your hard drive, you can use an image editing program (like the arcsoft one you have) to edit them. You can also simply view them by double-clicking the image in windows (Windows has a simple built-in image viewer).

So after reading all that, you might wonder what you are missing by not having the camera software. Well, the bundled software is generally tailored for your camera so it may be more suited for it. Copying files might be easier; bundled software may help you create a panoroma (not sure if A10 has this); and so on. Not having the software does not impact the actual pictures or how they are retrieved.

Someone correct me if anything I said above is incorrect... like I said, I'm a newbie too ...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 8:34 PM   #3

Hey, I wish I was a newby like you! You're pretty upon it for a new comer... anyway I thank you so much for the info. I pretty much knew it was not a "Good" camera for printing or fine pics, but as long as I can use in on the net and email I'm ok with it. It was free, so...who am I to complan?

Again my thanks for your time, it's deeply appreciated!

Fleet
Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 12:02 PM   #4

I'm into computers so it's easier... I just don't know much about cameras though...

So, did you get it working?
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote