Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:03 AM   #11

OwenBruce wrote:
Quote:
The G6 has had far too many reported problems for me to spend $600 on. I bought the Sony F717 instead.

What problems?
bosamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 3:04 AM   #12

has anyone with the G6 tried using the new Sony V3?

I think the image quality of the V3 is sharper and more saturated giving a nicer look.

I don't know which one to buy.....G6 or V3??
littleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:28 AM   #13

littleboy wrote:
Quote:

I think the image quality of the V3 is sharper and more saturated giving a nicer look.

No question they are fairly comparable - but that articulating LCD is beneficial in so many ways!
35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:51 AM   #14

Ok...well, I mentioned the red-eye problem that everybody talks about on the internet. And this turns out to be true. I said that in .. http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...92&forum_id=15

The lens cap popping off thing doesn't worry me much at all. Other than that, this camera takes excellent photos both in low light conditions and normal conditions. But when people are involved in low light conditions, be sure to expect red-eye even when the red-eye reduction feature is on. It's probably something to do with the position of the flash on the camera...could be poor design. If you don't want red-eye, then probably best to use an external flash. The canon has a hotshoe..thank goodness for that.

Anyway, I'm extremely impressed about the picture quality of the g6. So even though I knew about the expected red-eye thing before I bought the camera, I liked the low light capability of the g6 and the good quality images of it. Too bad that canon couldn't design it a bit better to reduce the red-eye. I supposed they'll fix it up for the next version of their camera. But having said that...I do think it's somewhat stupid on canon's part to put a camera on the market that has more red-eye than normal. That's the part that I can't understand. You'd expect that with all the camera experience, this should no longer even be an issue.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:48 AM   #15

I have owned a G6 for about 3 months and have hadno mechanical or electrical problems.

SOME"PROS" ABOUT THE G6.

Fast, razor sharp focus

Great low light performance

No shutter lag

Writes quickly to the memory card

It has a very nice macro light that I'm saving up for

Can be used (with some difficulty) for digiscoping

Great macro performance.

SOME CONS:

Lens cap keeps falling off

My wife keeps taking it away from me.

Steve C, Strazeele, France
SteveCz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:34 AM   #16

For some reason, Canon doesn't know how to make zoom lense mechanisms! I have read reviews of many consumers of different Canon Digital models and they keep complaining about their lens not retracting. Canon better get with it! I don't understand why even on their brand new G6 they still haven't mastered the technology of automatic zoom!!!????!!! I have 10 year old 35mm with automatic zoom and it has never got stuck! Never on any of the Sony digital cameras I've owned either!

Both the Canon G6 and the Sony V3 are close runners in regards to image quality, both have noise in certain shots but the Sony comes out better in color saturation and sharpness and this is noted in professional views. And Sony's are reliable cameras, the zoom doesn't get stuck. I've never read anyone complain about that.

kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:38 AM   #17
Administrator

littleboy wrote:
Quote:

We have a page of side-by-side sample photos from the G6 and V3 here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...3_samples.html
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:44 AM   #18

kski wrote:
Quote:
Both the Canon G6 and the Sony V3 are close runners in regards to image quality, both have noise in certain shots but the Sony comes out better in color saturation and sharpness and this is noted in professional views. And Sony's are reliable cameras, the zoom doesn't get stuck. I've never read anyone complain about that.

Yeah, the V3 and G6 are pretty close to each other... just to balance out the comparison a bit, don't forget that G6 starts out at F2.0, which is a big thing IMO...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:30 AM   #19

I just looked at those samples. I have a canon G6, and from those samples on that link above...between G6 vs V3 ... the images don't look very sharp at all. But I think that the images look sharper when we use a photo editor to reduce the image size maybe.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:58 PM   #20
kci

I have V3earlier and I bought G6for my 1st canon prosumer after reading reviews of Steve's DigiCams.Please find out what I got:

1. I took more than 200 pictures with both cameras in my daughter's shool holiday party and every pictures from V3were perfect. About one third of the pictures from G6 were out of focus. I applied the same focusing methed with two cameras and compared later. I found out G6 in low light focus is slow and sometime is impossible.

2. Red-Eye is unacceptable for G6. Don't think software will help, it will make eyes like ghosts'. You have to use external flash to minimize the possibility.

3. G6 has better flip-over LCD and it makes more fun and flexibility. V3's LCD looks much better in all conditions.

4. If you were planning buy accessaries for G6 you need to buy almost everything. You can' t just buy adaptor and use build-in flash. It will give a terrible shadow if you didn't equipped with external flash!!!

5. Battery indicator for G6 may be a trick. It comes only 2 bars. After ist bar disappeared you might have less than 10 shots to make. V3's info-lithium would tell you exact info. you actually need.

6. G6 lacks of on-camera editing, likecropping and resizing. I personally think that is very convenient and important. Especially when you don't want tostart up your computer and print your favorable pictures.

7.Even for out door pictures, V3s'are more pleasing and sharper. This is just my opinion.

You already know what I am going to say. I personally disagree with the conclusion of Steve's DigiCams. I trully believe V3is the all-arround-camera that most of people can rely on. It never get you wrong and you will never miss any important moment. Again, all of above is just my opinion. Try it yourself.

kci is offline   Reply With Quote