Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 24, 2004, 6:02 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

I'd like to hear some owner's Pros and Cons of the Canon G6. This will hopefully help me decide to buy it or not!

Owen
OwenBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2004, 6:30 PM   #2

My new Canon lens would not retract after less than an hour after leaving store today. Very dissapointed with Canon for this problem, while Ritz's will replace the camera when I carry the box back tomorrow morning.

This should not have happened and it beeps and displays "Len" on LCD. Will cut off but lens stays in out positon and tries to retract but can't.

Let me know if anyone else has this problem with their Canon G6 7-meg camera.

donald

drwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 9:26 PM   #3

The G6 has had far too many reported problems for me to spend $600 on. I bought the Sony F717 instead.
OwenBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 10:15 PM   #4

I own the s100 G3 G5 and the G6. The G3 is an excellent camera. I have had it since 2/2003 at this point in time the only thing wrong is that it has two small hot pixel areas that I can deal with but don't like. The G5 is the same camera as G3 except for added resolution. Both cameras focus ok in darkened rooms but nothing like I (we) all would like to see. They take beautiful pictures that are somewhat over saturated, look great on the screen but I tone them down when printing. The G5 is soft in detail unless you use the raw file option. The G6 is as good as the G3 and better than the G5 for sharpness. The G6 is not as over saturated when shooting with normal filtering and it has taken some hits on the net for not being as colorful. I feel that it actually is more accurate and you can always choose the vivid setting when shooting or create custom settings to add more saturation. The G6 feels good to hold and my hands are somewhat big. It is laid out nicely and the controls are easy to find and use. It does not focus in dark rooms the way I would like to see since this is an upgrade to the G5. Use the raw setting and you will be amazed at the detail, crop out half and still get a decent 8x10. The G6 view panel is larger [2"] but uses the same pixel count as the smaller G3 and G5, it could be brighter and easier to see in bright outdoor lighting. I would buy the S100, G3, and G6 again not the G5. I have never had any mechanical problems with any of these cameras and have taken thousands of pictures.
stellgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:17 PM   #5

I had my G6 for several weeks now. Took it on vacation and was extremely pleased with the photographs. As far as the LCD - if the sun is out, I just look thru the viewfinder. I have had a lot of compliments on the photo's that I have taken so far. I am very happy with my purchase!:-)
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 11:27 AM   #6

:-)Received a new G6 today and it's working great. Guess Canon too can have a flaw ocassionally with a problem once in a while. It turns on and off and lens retracts as it should so that's great.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 3:09 AM   #7

Very nice camera indeed. I've had mine for a couple of weeks and the only drawback is that I don't think I'm realizing its full potential. I've been using a Canon S110 (a wonderful little camera) for the past few years, and all I had to do on it was set the white balance, decide if I wanted to use the flash or not, and maybe mess with the exposure. With the G6, I'm having to learn all about shutter speeds, aperture settings, and ISO settings, and when to use which to get the results. Of course I'm enjoying learning something new, but it's not easy explaing to the wife as I experiment with the settings why after spending hundreds of dollars on a new camera, 80% of the shots I take are utter crap.

One note on the lens retraction: When I got my camera, I faithfully charged the battery fully, turned it on, heard the lens motor churn, but then got a LENS error. Canon customer support tried to troubleshoot the problem, but couldn't help me, and suggested I take the camera back to the retailer. After I got off the phone with them, I "helped" the lens extend, and I've never had a problem with it again.
Flaming Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:08 AM   #8

Sir,

The G6 is not that problem proned as you may have thought but if you like the Sony, that's okay too. The G6 does seem to have better pictures than the Sony if you'll read the reviews but then again Sony is a good camera anyway.

Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:13 AM   #9

:roll:This is over biased of your view of the G6 Canon. Anyone can read the reports and articles and see that this is simply not true. Canon has made a reliable and quality camera and a bit better than the new 8 Meg. model they came out with.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 4:17 PM   #10

I am very very happy with the quality of the G6 photos. I have a Olympus 5050 and the Canon G6has the same higher quality photos -closer to SLR quality than other smaller point and shoots - and it has a faster shot to shot and shutter preformance. I tried the Olympus 8080, but did not like the electonic viewfinder (EVF). Anyway, the Canon G6has the same quality photos with the same speed.

Chris
wiste is offline   Reply With Quote