Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 1, 2004, 7:53 PM   #11

jimmy380 wrote:
Quote:
:?Please tell me how to transfer the movie clip from the S1 camera to DVD. Thanks
I'm not sure what software the S1 comes packaged with but you basically need a software program that will burn DVDs (or at least create the files for DVDs). If the S1 doesn't come with it, you have to go and look for some free ones (or purchase some low-cost software)...

To put it roughly, videos are in MPEG2 format. You basically need to convert the video to mpeg2.

In reality, you also want to create the menus, chapters, etc for the DVD. Using a DVD creation program is best, although you can replicate all of it using free software (from what I understand)...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 10:15 AM   #12

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
samcheri wrote:
Quote:
I dont know what it is that people want from a sub-$400 camera, for it to behave like a digital SLR, which costs around $1000, body only and you have to carry 2 or 3 expensive heavy lenses to get the same zoom reach? With the latest firmware upgrade (1.0.2.0) most of the focus problems have been solved, at least in my view; the panasonic is clunky and heavy and produces pictures with an unacceptable degree of noise, especially in areas of uniform colour like the sky;
Who is asking for a DSLR? I'm asking for an ultra-zoom with good video. In case you haven't realized it, we are almost there. If the Panasonic had the same video as Canon, it would be far better than the Canon... I'll guarantee you that an ultra-zoom at the same price range will have these qualities next year!!!

I don't know about the noise issue you are complaining about but the S1 IS has even worse noise than the DMC-FZ3. Regardless of how you look at it, the Panasonic has much better image quality. The Leica lens is better than Canon's! Even the image stabilization of the Panasonic is arguably better than the Canon's (although these aren't directly comparable). The zoom is also further (12x vs 10x) so I don't know how you can dismiss the Lumix series :?

The only thing going for Canon is its excellent video, ultrasonic motor, and fast zoom (although this supposedly causes auto-focus problems). There are also other things like AA batteries, and stuff, but these are minor...

If the Panasonic had [email protected], I would have bought the Panasonic for sure. Canon wouldn't even be in the same league...
Quote:
Just go to dpreview.com and look at the review of the DMZ_FC3; look at any picture in the samples section showing large amount of blue sky; the colour is very uneven with specks of red, blue and green; this is called chroma noise, by the way; compare to pictures taken by the S1 available here or any where else and see how clean the sky looks; even the reviwer says that the Panasonic's pictures show more noise than the S1's; having a lens with a name is not equal to good quality; i'm sure you know that leica DONT MAKE the lenses Panasonic uses; only oversees the quality control; the same thing applies to Sony's much touted vario-sonar lenses from Carl-Zeiss; any way, what are we arguing about? if you like what Panasonic does, by all means that must be your cup of tea!! i like what the Canon S1 does; as I have said before, to each his own
samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 1:41 PM   #13

jimmy380 wrote:
Quote:
:?Please tell me how to transfer the movie clip from the S1 camera to DVD. Thanks
there are many programs which will convert the avi movies made by the S1 to mpeg1 or mpeg2 (dvds need mpeg2 at frame size of 720x480 for ntsc) most dvd producing software will accept the avi files from the S1 (I use either Pinnacle Studio 9 or Roxio Easy Media Creator 7); there is a learning curve for either program but both will give you good/excellent dvds which will play on most set-top dvd players
samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 10:45 AM   #14

jimmy380 wrote:
Quote:

I used PowerProducer software to cut that DVD. Also Nero software can do this job too. Both of them came free with my DVD Writer. Both accepts any .avi files and converts it into DVD video disk (.VOB) format. .......MUST TRY THIS.......!!!!

I have uploaded some sample photos taken with S1 IS. I didn't use any extra lenses. Just my camera. All the photos are taken in "P" and some in"AUTO" mode.Let me know how are these pictures....:?Your comments are welcome.

http://aju6747.fotopic.net/c324113.html
aeapen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 4:53 PM   #15

aeapen wrote:
Quote:
jimmy380 wrote:
Quote:

I used PowerProducer software to cut that DVD. Also Nero software can do this job too. Both of them came free with my DVD Writer. Both accepts any .avi files and converts it into DVD video disk (.VOB) format. .......MUST TRY THIS.......!!!!

I have uploaded some sample photos taken with S1 IS. I didn't use any extra lenses. Just my camera. All the photos are taken in "P" and some in "AUTO" mode. Let me know how are these pictures.... :? Your comments are welcome.

http://aju6747.fotopic.net/c324113.html
Here is my critique... no offense :

On the Best Moving Pic, the insects are out of focus. Instead of focusing on the insects, the focus is on the plants...

32xmoon... exposure seems incorrect or something... the moon looks way too bright...

The bird pirched up on the stand is nice

One of the flaws of the S1 is that the pics are soft. People recommend turning up the sharpness in the settings (or using an image editor afterwards). You might want to see how the pics are after increasing the sharpness.

Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 5:03 AM   #16

Thanks for your comments. About "Best Moving Picture", I named it wrong. The fact is I was moving my camera after that Bee… I am glad that I could get such a good photo while moving my camera with the Bee… Another thing is these are my first few pictures taken after getting my camera. So as I mentioned, I used "AUTO" and "P" for those photos. No manual settings done at all.

I have a better picture of the moon taken in 32X. I can't find it now. But I don't understand what you mean by ‘way too bright'. As far as I know, I got the picture of the moon and the brightness exactly as I see it directly.

About the bird, my wife got enough time to focus…

I agree that some of the close-ups in my gallery are soft. I will use Manual Focus and try the same picture, to see whether it can be sharper.
aeapen is offline   Reply With Quote