Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 26, 2004, 4:06 AM   #1

I converted few of my avi files taken from my Canon S1 IS ([email protected]) to a DVD movie disk. Really surprised to see that clarity:shock:. The picture is very sharp and cristal clear sound. The picture is so sharp that nobody will believe that it was taken from a digital camera!!!! Though I had some few indoor movies which were dark and grainy were seems to be far far better in DVD movie. It is far better than .avi file. So I believe what canon said "DV quality movie for S1 IS" (if converted to DVD movie).

Thanks Canon for this great product !!!!
aeapen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2004, 8:45 AM   #2

Are you saying the quality improved by putting it on a DVD disk or just stating a fact that you put it on DVD?
retgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 9:56 AM   #3

The picture quality improved, a smooth video with good quality sound.I didn't copy .AVI to dvd disk and played. I made a DVDmovie disk (.VOB file)and played it in my DVD player and watched it in my Television. Have you tried this ???
aeapen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:13 AM   #4

I don't think the conversion thingie matters. The DVD files are simply mpeg2 (the VOB files=mpeg 2). It probably looks good on tv because television has lower resolution than computer monitors.

I hope the video is as good as you are saying, because I just ordered an S1 IS over the Panasonic DMC-FZ3--mainly because of the movie mode
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 5:45 PM   #5

I have the S1 as well and I am really happy with it!
It sure has it's limitations...as all other digicams have but a lot depends on the person who uses it!
If my girlfriend and I took a picture of the same thing withequal camera settings I'll bet the outcome would be different, just becuase of theuser!

But the video function is awesome! Never seen anything like it on a digicam....and remember that it's only a digicam and not a camcorder! It has it's limitations too when shooting movie clips.

http://www.blueskypilot.dkI've uploaded a couple of video clips. You can check them out if you like!

Good luck with the S1 and remember to post your shots. We can all learn from each other! Well, at least I can! :roll:
Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 1:30 PM   #6

Recently went on an alskan cruise; took some pictures and video with my S1; put them all on a dvd (about 45 minutes in all); some footage of live salmon in a stream was really beautiful, IMHO, evn better than dv from tape and much easier to handle and convert to mpeg2 ; did it in Pinnacle Studio 9; my friends tell me it really is a treat visually; really impressed with the camera, especially the video mode; no other still camera offers full zoom and audio; i did a lot of looking before buying the S1; people keep complaining about the S1 and comparing it to cameras costing three and four times as much; Canon has produced a real winner here and it will become a classic, if it has not already done so.
samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 4:28 PM   #7

I just bought the S1 last week so don't get be wrong... but... this camera won't become a classic because of its auto-focus problems and horrible low-light performance... The Canon also has worse pictures than the Panasonic Lumix series (eg. DMC-FZ3), although the Canon is better than most of the other competitors...

I think the ideal camera this year would have been the Panasonic DMC-FZ3 IF it had [email protected] movie mode :love:. I had to make a very tough decision between the S1 IS and the DMC-FZ3. One had very good movie while the other had very good pictures... why couldn't one have all? :angry:
Old Oct 31, 2004, 11:09 PM   #8

:?Please tell me how to transfer the movie clip from the S1 camera to DVD. Thanks
jimmy380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 8:40 AM   #9

I dont know what it is that people want from a sub-$400 camera, for it to behave like a digital SLR, which costs around $1000, body only and you have to carry 2 or 3 expensive heavy lenses to get the same zoom reach? With the latest firmware upgrade (1.0.2.0) most of the focus problems have been solved, at least in my view; the panasonic is clunky and heavy and produces pictures with an unacceptable degree of noise, especially in areas of uniform colour like the sky; any way, to each his won and you get what you pay for

Cheers!

samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 6:49 PM   #10

samcheri wrote:
Quote:
I dont know what it is that people want from a sub-$400 camera, for it to behave like a digital SLR, which costs around $1000, body only and you have to carry 2 or 3 expensive heavy lenses to get the same zoom reach? With the latest firmware upgrade (1.0.2.0) most of the focus problems have been solved, at least in my view; the panasonic is clunky and heavy and produces pictures with an unacceptable degree of noise, especially in areas of uniform colour like the sky;
Who is asking for a DSLR? I'm asking for an ultra-zoom with good video. In case you haven't realized it, we are almost there. If the Panasonic had the same video as Canon, it would be far better than the Canon... I'll guarantee you that an ultra-zoom at the same price range will have these qualities next year!!!

I don't know about the noise issue you are complaining about but the S1 IS has even worse noise than the DMC-FZ3. Regardless of how you look at it, the Panasonic has much better image quality. The Leica lens is better than Canon's! Even the image stabilization of the Panasonic is arguably better than the Canon's (although these aren't directly comparable). The zoom is also further (12x vs 10x) so I don't know how you can dismiss the Lumix series :?:

The only thing going for Canon is its excellent video, ultrasonic motor, and fast zoom (although this supposedly causes auto-focus problems). There are also other things like AA batteries, and stuff, but these are minor...

If the Panasonic had [email protected], I would have bought the Panasonic for sure. Canon wouldn't even be in the same league...