Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 27, 2004, 10:12 AM   #1

For anyone thinking about buying a Canon A75, or any digicam, you should know of a problem that crops up from time to time that can spoil your purchase. I bought a new Canon A75 from Zipzoomfly.com less than 2 weeks ago for a reasonable price that included their excellent free 2 day shipping. I've been very pleased with the A75's overall image quality and array of manual features - many of which I hope to master soon. Unfortunately my model also suffered from 2 dead or stuck pixels that showed up in all shots as 2 bright red pixel elements in the same position regardless of shot settings. I've sent it back to Zipzoomfly.com for a fix (either a CCD replacement or remap). I haven't received the camera back yet but hope it will perform just as well as before the transplant sans dead pixels.

I picked Zipzoomfly.com in no small part because of their relatively low price compared with some local retailers. Although Zipzoomfly.com has been professional so far in the process I wish now that I bought this camera from a local retailer even thought it might have cost more in the short term. Also many of my local retailers (Adorama, JandR) would have exchanged the entire unit instead of opting for a CCD replacement or other similar fix. Just a heads up for any prospective buyer.

Sam

spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2004, 10:41 PM   #2

Sam,

Had the same "stuck pixel" problem with a Powershot S50. There were a group of stuck pixels that appeared in every photo. I returned the camera to Best Buy and they exchanged it for a another new unit.

I now check new cameras by taking RAW photos with the lens covered, as well as RAW shots of red, green and blue images to detect any bad pixels. These test photos really helped me pinpoint issues with subsequent cameras that I have purchased.

Ed

citykid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 10:10 AM   #3

Ed,

I can't save RAW with the A75 but I did finally get my new A75 yesterday. It took a bit longer than I expected but the good news is Zipzoomfly.com replaced my defective unit with a new one instead of fixing the chip. All shots indicate this CCD is free of bad pixels!

Sam
Old Nov 28, 2004, 3:34 AM   #4

The link for the dead pixels page doesn't work.

So, do you think a place like Amazon or Newegg would be a safe place to order it in terms of getting a dead pixel? Also, when you got your first one, did it have that dot in the door for the CF card that indicates that it already has the lastest firmware? Does your new one have that dot?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 5:20 PM   #5

bump
Old Dec 1, 2004, 6:23 PM   #6

Ops, sorry Azure I deleted the page when I updated the site. Well, the unit that Zipzoomfly.com sent is free from any "dead" or "stuck" pixels and I'm quite happy with it. As for Amazon or Newegg, you never now when you might get a digicam with bad pixel elements - the thing I would stress is make sure the place you buy from has a clear return policy for defective units. Also my first unit with the bad pixels came updated with the new firmware but didn't have the black dot on the CF cover. When I checked the serial number online it came up as being already installed - also checked manually. The new unit I have has the black dot. Checking online it stated that it needed the new firmware - checked manually and it is updated. I love this little digicam so much 3 of my friends bought it because of my opinion. The only thing I wish now is that I bought a bigger CF card - I have 512MB but 1GB would be perfect.

Sam
Old Dec 2, 2004, 2:10 AM   #7

Wow, 512mb isn't enough space? I plan on getting mine with a 256mb card, do you think that would be enough for starting out with? Also, does or does it not use CompactFlashII cards? I plan on using this card with it:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846
Old Dec 2, 2004, 7:03 AM   #8

At first I thought 512MB was over kill - with the highest resolution setting and best jpeg setting I can get roughly 310 shots with 512MB. It's more than enough for everyday use but I'm sure I would take more on vacations, in which case I don't want the problem of thinking about how many shots I have left and which I want to delete. Because CF prices have been dropping so much I really believe 512MB is the best starting point. That UltraII you linked is a great card but is it better than a "regular" card for a camera like an A75 - not at all. I tried both and I couldn't notice any difference with in camera speed.

All the Canon Powershot A series uses CF-I cards.

BTW- I think Zipzoomfly.com has the best deals for CF cards. You can get a 512MB Kingston card for $27.90 or a 512MB SanDisk for $33.75 both including 2nd Day UPS Air. Can't beat that.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ductCode=82236
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ductCode=82240

Sam
Old Dec 11, 2004, 11:17 PM   #9

Well, I just bought my camera and I chose this card:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846
I also ordered my camera, so I'm looking forward to that.