Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 28, 2004, 1:13 AM   #1

I've been looking at cameras for a while now, and I can't decide whether to buy a Canon A-95 or a Canon IS-S2 when it comes out. I'm looking for a good point and shoot camera, that I can print off the photo's I take in any size, whether that be 5'8 or 11'16. I know the S2 is more of complex camera and all, but I really am drawn to it for it's zoom capabilities. I'm very impressed with the A-95's 3x zoom, if it had a larger zoom (5x or 8x) i would definatly go out and get one today, but i'm not sure! Also, can anyone ensure that the S2 will be out before say, May or June? I will needa camera beforeJuly.

What do you guys think

Thanks for your guys opinions and thoughs!
Shaftination is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2004, 9:53 PM   #2

I don't think the S1 is any more complex than the A95 but the obvious feature difference is the big zoom lense. If the zoom is important then the S1 is your camera. The 3 megapixels on the S1 is plenty unless you plan on some serious cropping, and for that matter the A95's 5 megapixels is overkill for a compact point & shoot camera. If you are expecting to do serious cropping I think you are looking at the wrongclass of camera anyway.

I agree the S1 is getting a little long in the tooth and probably waning in popularity by the general public due to falling behind inthe megapixel race. I sense, like you that a S2 could be in the pipeline but I think in order to keep price in line tradeoffs will have to made (CCD size, megapixels) if the big zoom lense is to be retained.

satwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 11:19 AM   #3

satwar wrote:
Quote:
I don't think the S1 is any more complex than the A95 but the obvious feature difference is the big zoom lense. If the zoom is important then the S1 is your camera. The 3 megapixels on the S1 is plenty unless you plan on some serious cropping, and for that matter the A95's 5 megapixels is overkill for a compact point & shoot camera.
He/she is looking at printing 11x16 (if I understand the original post) so I think you need way more than 3 megapixels. From what I've read, 3MP limits you to 8x10 (inches).

If printing "any" size is your key criteria, I think you really have to go 5MP+.

The A95 with a larger zoom is the G6 (ok, not really, but you get my point). If you want higher zoom while having high megapixels, you have to spend more money and move higher up into the prosumer camera market. My OPINION is that the A95 is targetted as a general point&shoot camera, whereas the S1 IS is a mid-end ultra-zoom prosumer camera, and the G6 is a mid-end general (low-zoom) prosumer camera.

If you want high zoom AND megapixels, you have to pony up some money. The Canon Powershot Pro1 (7MP, 7x zoom), which is a high-end prosumer camera, is an example of a high-zoom, high-MP camera. Another example is the Panasonic DMC-FZ20 (5MP, 12x zoom) which costs quite a bit more than the A95/S1 IS.

As far as the S2 is concerned, no one knows what will happen. My feeling is that the S2--if it is released next year--will NOT have 5 megapixels. I'm guessing it will have 4 MP, with a better processor (DIGIC II)--the present one is too slow as can be noticed with the auto-focus problems, and (maybe) slightly higher zoom (12x like the Panasonic; they'll do this by taking the wide-angle lower which will help indoor pics). They might also improve the video in some manner (although I don't think they will include [email protected] video unless the new DIGIC II process has enough power). I don't think the S2 will have 5MP or higher because the cost will be too high, and major improvements have to be made (sensor size has to be increased, which Canon probably won't carry out).

So to sum up my newbie speculative views, if you want to print large pics (larger than 8x10) then the ultra-zooms in your price range (A95/S1 IS price range of around $300 to $500) won't be enough. If size of the pics matter, you should probably stick with the general (low-zoom) cameras.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 2:08 PM   #4

I must say that 3 MP is more than adequate to print upto A3 size; I have printed upto that size both 3MP and 6MP files on my Epson Photo quality printer and I have to say that my eyes could not make out a great deal of difference between them; in fact in one case the 3MP file seemed to look better!! I did not use any special software for printing, just the plain XP drivers for my printer.

I feel that camera manufacturers are conning us into buying higher and higher MP cameras and we have to be extremely critical of advice given by even so-called experts (and especially sales people in camera stores!!); higher MP does not necessailry translate into better quality pictures either just to look at or print.
samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote