Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 28, 2004, 10:30 AM   #1

Can the flash mode (auto, on, redeye, off) be controlled without opening the flip-open LCD screen?
Leon Segal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2004, 9:36 PM   #2

You get some access to flash control with a back panel button (cycles through Auto, always on, always off). I guess you could tell by the LED lights beside the viewfinder whether the flash is engaged or not. I find the LED colour codes confusing still but it seems like it should be possible.
satwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 12:17 AM   #3

OK, so I'm answering my own question. As far as I know--and based on the fact that I got no responses that indicate otherwise--it is impossible to change flash modes in the A95 unless the screen is flipped open. Or, at least, the screen needs to not be completely closed: once it's opened about 1cm, the thumb button makes changes to the flash mode. I experiimented in many ways, and think this is what's happening.

If anyone else finds something to the contraty, please let me know.

Too bad.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 12:59 AM   #4

May I know why do you consuider this necessary ? (I'm planning to buy an A95 myself so I would like to know what to expect)
doru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 2:20 AM   #5

In some situations, I'd like so simply pull the camera out and snap a photo without having to mess with flipping the display. One of the advantages of the closed display is protection, so I usually keep it closed. Keeping it closed also saves on power, so I'd rather not open it if I don't have to.

All of this having been said, this is one amazing camera. Works great, takes excellent shots, runs forever on rechargable batteries (2300).