Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 1, 2004, 1:56 PM   #1

My first post... my first digital camera! I recentlypurchasedthe Canon S70. I just noticed that a new firmware is now available for the S70:

"What has been improved in version 1.0.1.0 of the firmware?

When making settings from the Print menu, pressing the MENU button to exit the print settings menu caused an E51 error to appear and the camera would automatically shut down. This firmware update fixes that problem. "

The link to the firmware is: http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/pss70/firmware-e.html

I am not sure how serious this upgrade is. Is there anything wrong with the first batch of the S70, or is this just a minor firmware bug.

As I can still return my camera, should I return it andwait for "revision 2" with the new firmware (and bug fixed), or just keep it and simply upgrade the firmware.

This lead me to my other problem. I downloaded the WinXP verison of the firmware, but when I tried to unzip it with WinZip, I get an "unable to load" error. Did anyone else encounter the same problem?

Thanks.

SuperGoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2004, 12:29 PM   #2

If you just purchased your S70, it may have a black dot under the battery/memory card door, meaning the upgrade is already installed. Canon also has a provision for having the upgrade installed by them, but it requires returning the camera to a repair station. Instructions for this option are on their site.

Also, if you don't use the print setting menu, you may never encounter the problem.
MikeCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 7:58 AM   #3

I discovered the reason for the unzipping error. If you download the firmware to a root directory (eg. c:\ d:\ e:\ etc), you will get an error when you double-click it with Winzip (see jpg below).

Simply download the firmware into a folder (or create a new folder). Now when you double-click it, Winzip will unzip it and automatically create a new folder with the name of your camera.

My S70 didn't have the black dot and needed the upgrade. I have now successfully upgraded my firmware to version 1.0.1.0. Hope this helps anyone else having this unzipping error with Winzip.
Attached Images

SuperGoop is offline   Reply With Quote